Ghosting - Presumably a more prevalent [or more fiercely felt] experience in the autistic population?

These questions presented themselves from within the recent tread about new users not responding to our writings or advice (originated within ‘Anybody need some advice from the voice of reason ?)

“Ghosting” is when someone just doesn’t respond to you at all despite you fully expecting them to do so, in any event.  I would distinguish "ghosting" from blocking or outright ignoring someone.  I would equate the feeling of "ghosting" to feeling like you have been overtly given the advice to "take the hint, mate."

I hate the experience…..SO many unanswered questions...and you should be polite and not push for an explanation?  Right??

Parents
  • I have been very frustrated by people (mostly relatives) not answering my emails.  Because now and then my email can go astray into a junk mail folder and then you are always wondering.  I think people should always reply to a message, in some way or another, it's only courteous - but it seems like the culture now is that ignoring stuff is acceptable and you are meant to take the lack of reply as an answer????

• Yes, I have always struggled with this!

I will never not reply to a message. Generally I try to as soon as I see it; this can become overwhelming though, and it's why I find digital communication so exhausting. I've spent times off WhatsApp and its felt great (and kept read receipts turned off when I do use the app).

I much prefer texts & emails; aside from IRL chats, email might actually be my preferred way to communicate. Slower and more thoughtful; I somehow feel less guilty when I've not responded to emails for a couple of days or few days (there are a couple in my inbox waiting to be answered in fact), and it also feels less intense being unreplied-to over email, than say a text or WhatsApp or message of some kind in the various apps we have these days 

• Yes, I have always struggled with this!

I will never not reply to a message. Generally I try to as soon as I see it; this can become overwhelming though, and it's why I find digital communication so exhausting. I've spent times off WhatsApp and its felt great (and kept read receipts turned off when I do use the app).

I much prefer texts & emails; aside from IRL chats, email might actually be my preferred way to communicate. Slower and more thoughtful; I somehow feel less guilty when I've not responded to emails for a couple of days or few days (there are a couple in my inbox waiting to be answered in fact), and it also feels less intense being unreplied-to over email, than say a text or WhatsApp or message of some kind in the various apps we have these days 

Children
No Data