Recovery from burnout

I think I am in the middle of a burnout.  I have had them before, but because I have only recently been diagnosed, I didn't realise when they happened in the past that it was autistic burnout I was struggling with and not general malaise.  I think this has been coming for a while as I have been struggling for weeks, and it has been triggered in part by work demands exceeding what I am capable of coping with.

What I have done to try and manage it is to cut back and do the bare minimum I can get away with doing at work - so I have stopped doing all the extra projects or proactive stuff I tend to do as a matter of routine.  I have also cut right back on my special interests and I am doing the bare minimum I can with those to get some enjoyment and respite without putting pressure on myself to do things.

The way I feel right now, I could literally stay in bed for days I feel so tired and exhausted.  My memory is terrible and I am really struggling to deal with people, so I am trying as much as I can to manage my interactions with people so that I do enough to do the things I need to do, without putting extra pressure on myself.

Clearly I have recovered from burnouts in the past (I was particularly bad when I left university after my exams), but given this is likely to be autism related, I wondered if anyone with experience of burnouts has a view on the things I am doing?  I am trying to rest as much as I can and trying to take some of the burden off of myself so I keep working and doing the special interests that make me happy, whilst striking a balance of not doing so much that I make the burnout worse.  I also plan to spend a few days off in bed to rest where I can.  Do you think this strategy is the right one or am I doing all the wrong things?  

Parents Reply Children
No Data