School Trauma?

I just revisited Jodie Smitten's excellent site and found this cluster of articles and info on school attendance - often an issue for parents and certainly an issue within my own family over at least 2 generations.  Drilling down into the reasons can be quite emotional too. 

I was thinking at first that it might be more suitable for the Parents and Carers section but then, and especially after the school reports thread, I reconsidered.  Reading through some of this, like thinking about my old school reports, set off quite a bit of reflection on my own schooling, much of which damaged or distorted me and influenced my behaviours for some considerable time.  It's all still very much with me, in fact, like a voice in my head.  I was always able to attend school myself, but I'm thinking now that the cost might have been too great.  It also led to an awful lot of masking, some fairly negative behaviours and consequences for me, plus an almost neverending drive towards perfectionism and getting 10/10, no matter what I had to do to achieve it.  :(  

And yes, although it can be a large "turning circle", I'm on to it now, with more insight, I think.  :) 

If you feel OK to share here, how do you all feel about all of this? 

www.jodiesmitten.co.uk/school-attendance

Parents
  • My secondary school years have been blotted out of my memory. Overwhelmed by a school with 800 kids, trying not to stand out at all. Of the 5 main subjects in three I was in the top class and they were ok as they were the decient kids and they wanted to learn. For maths and english I was in the middle class and every kid seemed to want to bully me and the couple of others who tried to learn. This was the 80's and on a council estate school with no asperations of anything. It was so depressing to have a morning with decient kids and an afternoon of being bullied with teachers who did almost nothing. I so hated it. I loved it when I could go to work. Initially I mostly worked with decient older people who treated me much better, it was a revelation and a much happier time in my life.

• My secondary school years have been blotted out of my memory. Overwhelmed by a school with 800 kids, trying not to stand out at all. Of the 5 main subjects in three I was in the top class and they were ok as they were the decient kids and they wanted to learn. For maths and english I was in the middle class and every kid seemed to want to bully me and the couple of others who tried to learn. This was the 80's and on a council estate school with no asperations of anything. It was so depressing to have a morning with decient kids and an afternoon of being bullied with teachers who did almost nothing. I so hated it. I loved it when I could go to work. Initially I mostly worked with decient older people who treated me much better, it was a revelation and a much happier time in my life.

Children
No Data