School Trauma?

I just revisited Jodie Smitten's excellent site and found this cluster of articles and info on school attendance - often an issue for parents and certainly an issue within my own family over at least 2 generations.  Drilling down into the reasons can be quite emotional too. 

I was thinking at first that it might be more suitable for the Parents and Carers section but then, and especially after the school reports thread, I reconsidered.  Reading through some of this, like thinking about my old school reports, set off quite a bit of reflection on my own schooling, much of which damaged or distorted me and influenced my behaviours for some considerable time.  It's all still very much with me, in fact, like a voice in my head.  I was always able to attend school myself, but I'm thinking now that the cost might have been too great.  It also led to an awful lot of masking, some fairly negative behaviours and consequences for me, plus an almost neverending drive towards perfectionism and getting 10/10, no matter what I had to do to achieve it.  :(  

And yes, although it can be a large "turning circle", I'm on to it now, with more insight, I think.  :) 

If you feel OK to share here, how do you all feel about all of this? 

www.jodiesmitten.co.uk/school-attendance

Parents
  • I struggled with Primary school during the late 70s into the mid 1980s.
    The whole thing - noise, chopping and changes to routine, the school bell, fire alarm etc.
    The move to Comp school in 1986 was much worse - an entire new enviroment, new class, new teachers, new people, new structure to my normal day and a lot more pressures & expectation.
    It was very hard work.

I would go home for Lunch - as the dinner hall was too much for me; too crowded & noisy (and smelly).
    After lunch, I'd struggle to get motivated to go back to school and return for another 3 hours of mental struggle..

After School trips, I would return home and shut myself in my room, put on my headphones to listen to music.
    After a weeks residential, during the autumn of 1986, I came home and I was totally finished - the whole week was too much to cope with.
    I shared a dorm with 6 other boys - 4 of them were the school pain in the a*ses - and did nothing but mess about all night.
    One even set off the Fire Alarm at 3AM and turfed the entire hostel out into the cold for an hour.

I plodded on - with the old "Tummy Ache" and "Feeling Sick" story wearing thin - and Parents & Teachers thinking I was being bullied (which I wasn't).

It was during the Spring the next year - I was knocked down, by a buffoon driving a Volvo down a pavement - and ended up with numerous serious cuts & bruises and a Fratured Skull - putting me in hospital for 2 weeks.
    For me - that accident - was in an odd way, a strange blessing - it got me away from school (on a serious note - it could have actually killed me) - in the time I had away from the school - I did my own learning - at my own pace and in my own time.
    I learned to code a ZX Spectrum computer to create my own games and software; I learned to play the Piano/Keyboards; we grew Veg in the garden; had more time to read up & learn about my Electronics Hobby and also make animated films with an 8mm camera. (Yes - pre digtial camera days).

By the time it was safe to go back to school - we had moved house - well away from the area - more rural.
    And I returned to school - a different Comp.
    All this change & new comp had me stressed for weeks - that was until I started at school; and found it was a totally different atmosphere; the kids were more friendly (even the idiots!) and the teachers treated pupils with respect - and as adults.
    If a pupil had a Hobby or Interest - it was used to aid their education
    That Mainstream Comp was the place for me and I settled in really well- I wish I had started then earlier.

Thanks to that Comp - I was able to persue my interest in Computer Games/Software; making films as part of my education.

I feel like my years at Primary school and early Comp Years were a total waste of time - as I have never felt as if I have achieved anything at all. Each day was filled with Worry, Anxiety, Stress, being overwhelmed, worried about change & getting home each day and shutting myself away to recover.

My youngest son is Autistic - and he struggled through primary school; and lasted 6 weeks in comp before we had to remove him - he's now homeschooled and we have never looked back.

What horrifies me, is how un-educated Teachers were - many have told me, that if I had been the school system today - chances are, something with me would have been picked up sooner - and I would have got some kind of diagnosis.
    Back then our attitudes were very different.

I wasn't diagnosed with ASD until I reached my early 20s. And that was thanks to support from a workplace Doctor.

Bit of a life story - but I still today think back to my early school years and shudder - thinking "How the hell did I get through it"...

• I struggled with Primary school during the late 70s into the mid 1980s.
    The whole thing - noise, chopping and changes to routine, the school bell, fire alarm etc.
    The move to Comp school in 1986 was much worse - an entire new enviroment, new class, new teachers, new people, new structure to my normal day and a lot more pressures & expectation.
    It was very hard work.

I would go home for Lunch - as the dinner hall was too much for me; too crowded & noisy (and smelly).
    After lunch, I'd struggle to get motivated to go back to school and return for another 3 hours of mental struggle..

After School trips, I would return home and shut myself in my room, put on my headphones to listen to music.
    After a weeks residential, during the autumn of 1986, I came home and I was totally finished - the whole week was too much to cope with.
    I shared a dorm with 6 other boys - 4 of them were the school pain in the a*ses - and did nothing but mess about all night.
    One even set off the Fire Alarm at 3AM and turfed the entire hostel out into the cold for an hour.

I plodded on - with the old "Tummy Ache" and "Feeling Sick" story wearing thin - and Parents & Teachers thinking I was being bullied (which I wasn't).

It was during the Spring the next year - I was knocked down, by a buffoon driving a Volvo down a pavement - and ended up with numerous serious cuts & bruises and a Fratured Skull - putting me in hospital for 2 weeks.
    For me - that accident - was in an odd way, a strange blessing - it got me away from school (on a serious note - it could have actually killed me) - in the time I had away from the school - I did my own learning - at my own pace and in my own time.
    I learned to code a ZX Spectrum computer to create my own games and software; I learned to play the Piano/Keyboards; we grew Veg in the garden; had more time to read up & learn about my Electronics Hobby and also make animated films with an 8mm camera. (Yes - pre digtial camera days).

By the time it was safe to go back to school - we had moved house - well away from the area - more rural.
    And I returned to school - a different Comp.
    All this change & new comp had me stressed for weeks - that was until I started at school; and found it was a totally different atmosphere; the kids were more friendly (even the idiots!) and the teachers treated pupils with respect - and as adults.
    If a pupil had a Hobby or Interest - it was used to aid their education
    That Mainstream Comp was the place for me and I settled in really well- I wish I had started then earlier.

Thanks to that Comp - I was able to persue my interest in Computer Games/Software; making films as part of my education.

I feel like my years at Primary school and early Comp Years were a total waste of time - as I have never felt as if I have achieved anything at all. Each day was filled with Worry, Anxiety, Stress, being overwhelmed, worried about change & getting home each day and shutting myself away to recover.

My youngest son is Autistic - and he struggled through primary school; and lasted 6 weeks in comp before we had to remove him - he's now homeschooled and we have never looked back.

What horrifies me, is how un-educated Teachers were - many have told me, that if I had been the school system today - chances are, something with me would have been picked up sooner - and I would have got some kind of diagnosis.
    Back then our attitudes were very different.

I wasn't diagnosed with ASD until I reached my early 20s. And that was thanks to support from a workplace Doctor.

Bit of a life story - but I still today think back to my early school years and shudder - thinking "How the hell did I get through it"...

Children
No Data