Coca-Cola

Hi, 

It’s another one of those questions that keeps my mind ticking. During my time working in schools and as a youth worker, (and just in every day situations) I’ve been noticing patterns of people that are addicted to drinking any form of coca-cola. I’ve noticed that a lot of autistic/adhd people have said that they are addicted to fizzy drinks, being coca-cola in particular. I know I’m a huge coca-cola fan (and I know it’s a really bad habit and all the negatives that comes with it) but I cannot stop drinking it, it’s an addiction. 

My first question is, does anyone else know of someone else, or have themselves, a coca-cola addiction, and if this is something that people on the spectrum tend to get easily addicted to?

Secondly, I always wonder why coca-cola/any fizzy drink addiction, isn’t treated like an addiction or taken seriously? People say stop drinking it but I find it really difficult to stop. What’s people’s thoughts and do you think it should be taken seriously by health professionals and others? 

side note, I’m wondering if it’s like and OCD obsessive disorder or something, the more I think about it. But I just wanted to know what others thought. 

Parents
  • I think high sugar intake is a marker for ADHD. I was asked about my sugar intake during my ADHD diagnoses. I don't drink Coca Cola (or fizzy drinks really) but during my ADHD diagnoses I was asked about how much sugar I eat. I didn't think I eat that much but when I went through a typical day with chocolate, cake and other things like that it turned out that it was quite a lot. 

• I think high sugar intake is a marker for ADHD. I was asked about my sugar intake during my ADHD diagnoses. I don't drink Coca Cola (or fizzy drinks really) but during my ADHD diagnoses I was asked about how much sugar I eat. I didn't think I eat that much but when I went through a typical day with chocolate, cake and other things like that it turned out that it was quite a lot. 

Children
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am also autistic/adhd. I thought there must have been a link somewhere between sugar and ADHD, just to clarify, did you mean that people who are ADHD seek out high sugar intake, or ADHD is caused/made worse by high sugar intake? 

I don’t eat very much, especially not cakes or sweets, my only sugar downfall is coke.