Imaging Character's in books

Hey all, I'm interested around the fact that its apparently difficult for those on the spectrum to image how characters in novels look like.

Does anyone on here struggle with this? If so, why?

Personally speaking in my case, the characters in books I read usually take the form of people in real life. A lot of this comes from actors in TV shows and films, but even people in my life can take the form of a character in my mind at times. I'm not sure if that can be considered an imaginary deficit, but I have no idea how neurotypical people can imagine entirely new human faces if that apparently is the case. 

Parents
  • Hi, it’s something that I had never thought about. I do use real people when imagining a character. I remember reading to my sons at bedtime which was easy as they always wanted the same book. Occasionally they would ask me to make up a story, I just can’t, I don’t know how people do it. I remember my English teacher setting an essay as homework, her remarks on my efforts was,”well written but I have seen the film as well”

• Hi, it’s something that I had never thought about. I do use real people when imagining a character. I remember reading to my sons at bedtime which was easy as they always wanted the same book. Occasionally they would ask me to make up a story, I just can’t, I don’t know how people do it. I remember my English teacher setting an essay as homework, her remarks on my efforts was,”well written but I have seen the film as well”

Children
No Data