Imaging Character's in books

Hey all, I'm interested around the fact that its apparently difficult for those on the spectrum to image how characters in novels look like.

Does anyone on here struggle with this? If so, why?

Personally speaking in my case, the characters in books I read usually take the form of people in real life. A lot of this comes from actors in TV shows and films, but even people in my life can take the form of a character in my mind at times. I'm not sure if that can be considered an imaginary deficit, but I have no idea how neurotypical people can imagine entirely new human faces if that apparently is the case. 

Parents
  • I don't struggle with it, I just don't do it. I have no problem reading and enjoying a novel while not having the faintest idea of what the main character looks like.

I struggle sometimes with graphic novels and movies/TV to identify which character is which. It's easier for me to pin identity to a name than to physical appearance.

• I struggle sometimes with graphic novels and movies/TV to identify which character is which. It's easier for me to pin identity to a name than to physical appearance.

I get this somewhat. Why do they use actors who look a bit similar to each other when it is surely possible to pick ones who look more different? They only need to look a bit similar if they are related and then it isn't vital unless it is needed for the plot. I do also have some trouble with characters whose names are too similar.

• I struggle sometimes with graphic novels and movies/TV to identify which character is which. It's easier for me to pin identity to a name than to physical appearance.

I get this somewhat. Why do they use actors who look a bit similar to each other when it is surely possible to pick ones who look more different? They only need to look a bit similar if they are related and then it isn't vital unless it is needed for the plot. I do also have some trouble with characters whose names are too similar.

Children
No Data