Is the rise of autism diagnostics a sign our society is getting unsane?

Sorry to ask but the more I read all of you, the more I wonder. I take part in this forum because I am the mum of an autistic boy who has sever language delay, stimming, meltdowns, shuttdowns etc.. however I am an astrophysicist and in my career I have worked with many people with small quirks and we were all working together in this very open minded rational atmosphere without anyone refering to an autistic label. Sure my office mate was always making the same joke and switching the lights in the same order and unplugging his things I'd be there or not but I never made a fuss about it.. I just reminded him I was still there and he would very kindly switch on the light again for me. Just to say, has society become so normative that no more quirks are allowed because all sensitive rational people (most scientists are by nature) have, as far as I have seen (nearly 50 years old, lived in 5 countries and met loads of scientists, engineers and the like. Is society excluding this way of thinking more and more? Or is there more that I do not get? What is the border between autism and hypersensitive rational (which tend to go hand in hand)?

Parents
  • I am quite the opposite to what you describe (see my recent thread titled 'irrational fears').

I am autistic, quite irrational, almost always random in my responses. People are always taken back by how unique my ideas are, I've built a creative career from this thinking.

I find your post to be ignorant (I'm sure you aren't being conducending or callous at all) it's just how it feels to me to read.

Given the spectrum to be like a galaxy in my mind, and not a linear chart, we are all many flavours of ice cream from one day to the next. Willy Wonka couldn't make a candy that tastes like us because we would just go cameleon and invent a new flavour.

AI won't keep up with us I know it

• I am quite the opposite to what you describe (see my recent thread titled 'irrational fears').

I am autistic, quite irrational, almost always random in my responses. People are always taken back by how unique my ideas are, I've built a creative career from this thinking.

I find your post to be ignorant (I'm sure you aren't being conducending or callous at all) it's just how it feels to me to read.

Given the spectrum to be like a galaxy in my mind, and not a linear chart, we are all many flavours of ice cream from one day to the next. Willy Wonka couldn't make a candy that tastes like us because we would just go cameleon and invent a new flavour.

AI won't keep up with us I know it

Children
No Data