Fern Brady - and What's your favourite autobiography by an Autistic Person?

So, my latest Autistic obsession seems to be reading the autobiographies of other Autistic people.  Anyone else noticed that there has been an explosion of these since the beginning of the pandemic?  It was the pandemic that forced a crescendo in the problems that lead me to a very late diagnosis too.  Clearly, a lot of us have been busy spending lock down on a voyage of discovery and then writing about it.  It's heartening to see so many women are coming to the fore.

To whit, I've just been reading Fern's article in the Your Autism mag...oh there we go again male Dr misdiagnoses woman with BPD ...don't get me started!  Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to her book due out in Feb 23 - got my pre-order in and was just feeling the need to give it a plug here.

Meanwhile, I am noticing how many more biographers are not just narrating their personal journey but really taking on the political dimensions of autistic identity.  I'd also recommend Clem Bastow's Late Bloomer and Jane McNiece's The Umbrella Picker.

What's your favourite?  Anyone else got any recommendations for me I may have missed in my trawls on amazon?

Parents
  • Thanks for starting a great conversation. Thanks for the other recommendations, I shall start researching.

My favourite autistic autobiographies/memoirs are:

• Fingers in the Sparkle Jar by Chris Packham 
    • Stim: An Autistic Anthology 
    • Drama Queen by Sara Gibbs 
    • Explaining Humans by Camilla Pang 

‘ Clearly, a lot of us have been busy spending lock down on a voyage of discovery and then writing about it.  It's heartening to see so many women are coming to the fore.’

Yes I agree. Lockdown was an opportunity to reflect on everything including our own autistic/neurodivergent identities that we had never experienced before.

‘Meanwhile, I am noticing how many more biographers are not just narrating their personal journey but really taking on the political dimensions of autistic identity.’

This is great, maybe it is because knowledge of the neurodiversity movement is slowly becoming more mainstream. Also to coincide with that, there definitely seems to be greater understanding that our autistic community is a marginalised group like other minority communities.

There  is another discussion that I started which lists some more autistic autobiographies you may like:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/27896/brilliant-autistic-book-neuroqueer-heresies-by-autistic-academic-nick-walker

I hope you enjoy your next read. There are some many great autistic autobiographies to hyper focus on!

• Just added Neuroqueer Heresies to my reading list.  Thank you.

Reply Children