Loperamide - "has the potential to treat the core 'social symptoms' of ASD"

Don't you just love the news these days?

I have just read, with some considerable bemusement, that this particular anti-diarrhoea medication MIGHT "counteract biological processes underlying ASD" by binding to our μ-opioid receptors - you know, the ones normally affected by heroin, morphine and other opioid drugs.  This is news worthy because it MIGHT impact our "core symptom" of "social communication deficits."  Who knew!?!   I wonder if it will stop us getting the sh**s too?

So it is probably very simple after all everybody - although "further work" will be required to test this hypothesis! [gosh, I love how they keep it balanced.]

I just thought I would lob this red meat into the arena at stupid-o-clock in the morning to give me time to beat a hasty retreat before the lions wake up.  I was never here!!

Parents
  • There is a theory that has gathered pace over the past few years or so: the "Brain-Gut Axis."

The theory is that the microbes in the intestine have a strong influence on the nervous system, and vice-versa. This may explain why psychiatric drugs can affect the gastro-intestinal system and why there is a strong link between mental health and gut health.

I think we should all watch this space.

Colin

• *** Only your GP is qualified to offer medical advice; this post is just a discussion about possible Serotonin and Norepinephrine modulators/reuptake inhibitors ***

Just because imodium is used to treat Diarrhoea does not mean that this has anything to do with "Brain-Gut-Axis". Loperamide (The actual name for Imodium) also acts upon mu-opioid receptors.

"The mu receptors are a class of receptors that neuromodulate different physiological functions, but above all, nociception and stress, temperature, respiration, endocrine activity, gastrointestinal activity, memory, mood, and motivation".

Potentially having the same effect as SNRIs concerning Serotonin and Norepinephrine.

"Nociception refers to the central nervous system (CNS) and peripheral nervous system (PNS) processing of noxious stimuli, such as tissue injury and temperature extremes, which activate nociceptors and their pathways".

So I can see where they were going with this as a potential drug.

That said, Tramadol Hydrochloride, which also acts upon the mu-opioid receptors, could be said to be more effective.

These are not cures (We do not need to be cured of being Neurodiverse). However, Tramadol 'can' offer some relief' from ASD-related dysregulation right up to the level of stopping associated  Psychogenic tremors in their stride.

What concerns me about all this is the headlong dive back into the narrative of cures. We have to be so careful as not to end up with medicine as a new type of mask that forces us to be Neurotypical in appearance for the benefit of Neurotypicals.

This is about alleviating the effects of certain behaviours (severe Dysregulation) for 'our' benefit, not that of making us appear more 'normal' by neurotypical standards.

• *** Only your GP is qualified to offer medical advice; this post is just a discussion about possible Serotonin and Norepinephrine modulators/reuptake inhibitors ***

Just because imodium is used to treat Diarrhoea does not mean that this has anything to do with "Brain-Gut-Axis". Loperamide (The actual name for Imodium) also acts upon mu-opioid receptors.

"The mu receptors are a class of receptors that neuromodulate different physiological functions, but above all, nociception and stress, temperature, respiration, endocrine activity, gastrointestinal activity, memory, mood, and motivation".

Potentially having the same effect as SNRIs concerning Serotonin and Norepinephrine.

"Nociception refers to the central nervous system (CNS) and peripheral nervous system (PNS) processing of noxious stimuli, such as tissue injury and temperature extremes, which activate nociceptors and their pathways".

So I can see where they were going with this as a potential drug.

That said, Tramadol Hydrochloride, which also acts upon the mu-opioid receptors, could be said to be more effective.

These are not cures (We do not need to be cured of being Neurodiverse). However, Tramadol 'can' offer some relief' from ASD-related dysregulation right up to the level of stopping associated  Psychogenic tremors in their stride.

What concerns me about all this is the headlong dive back into the narrative of cures. We have to be so careful as not to end up with medicine as a new type of mask that forces us to be Neurotypical in appearance for the benefit of Neurotypicals.

This is about alleviating the effects of certain behaviours (severe Dysregulation) for 'our' benefit, not that of making us appear more 'normal' by neurotypical standards.

Children
No Data