Loperamide - "has the potential to treat the core 'social symptoms' of ASD"

Don't you just love the news these days?

I have just read, with some considerable bemusement, that this particular anti-diarrhoea medication MIGHT "counteract biological processes underlying ASD" by binding to our μ-opioid receptors - you know, the ones normally affected by heroin, morphine and other opioid drugs.  This is news worthy because it MIGHT impact our "core symptom" of "social communication deficits."  Who knew!?!   I wonder if it will stop us getting the sh**s too?

So it is probably very simple after all everybody - although "further work" will be required to test this hypothesis! [gosh, I love how they keep it balanced.]

I just thought I would lob this red meat into the arena at stupid-o-clock in the morning to give me time to beat a hasty retreat before the lions wake up.  I was never here!!

Parents
  • There’s numerous people offering what they claim to be cures, the truth is they are not cures to autism, allow me to explain.

Most things referred to as symptoms of autism actually have nothing to do with autism, they have just been associated with autism. If we take small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) as an example, curing SIBO has a positive effect on the individual, so the SIBO is cured but the autism is still there.

The truth is we still don’t know what autism itself is, we just know the signs someone’s autistic.

• There’s numerous people offering what they claim to be cures, the truth is they are not cures to autism, allow me to explain.

Most things referred to as symptoms of autism actually have nothing to do with autism, they have just been associated with autism. If we take small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) as an example, curing SIBO has a positive effect on the individual, so the SIBO is cured but the autism is still there.

The truth is we still don’t know what autism itself is, we just know the signs someone’s autistic.

Children
No Data