Loperamide - "has the potential to treat the core 'social symptoms' of ASD"

Don't you just love the news these days?

I have just read, with some considerable bemusement, that this particular anti-diarrhoea medication MIGHT "counteract biological processes underlying ASD" by binding to our μ-opioid receptors - you know, the ones normally affected by heroin, morphine and other opioid drugs.  This is news worthy because it MIGHT impact our "core symptom" of "social communication deficits."  Who knew!?!   I wonder if it will stop us getting the sh**s too?

So it is probably very simple after all everybody - although "further work" will be required to test this hypothesis! [gosh, I love how they keep it balanced.]

I just thought I would lob this red meat into the arena at stupid-o-clock in the morning to give me time to beat a hasty retreat before the lions wake up.  I was never here!!

Parents
  • Gosh! Just googled that.  One of the reports suggests that "most" autistic adults and half of children are on anti-psychotics????  Errrr!  Where the Hell did they get that from?

Yes, I have horrible digestive problems but I didn't develop those until adulthood, by which time I'd found a lot of compensation strategies to the social side of things and despite gut pain my mental health is mostly fine apart from the medical phobias.  How then was I ever an autistic kid with a perfectly OK bowel? 

And anytime I've been given medical opiates, that hasn't turned out well - NHS sponsored "bad trip".

Shall we say I shan't be volunteering for any trials?  I like my autism just fine as it is, thanks!

Thanks for throwing that "red meat" out there.  Lol, this could make for interesting discussion.

• Gosh! Just googled that.  One of the reports suggests that "most" autistic adults and half of children are on anti-psychotics????  Errrr!  Where the Hell did they get that from?

Yes, I have horrible digestive problems but I didn't develop those until adulthood, by which time I'd found a lot of compensation strategies to the social side of things and despite gut pain my mental health is mostly fine apart from the medical phobias.  How then was I ever an autistic kid with a perfectly OK bowel? 

And anytime I've been given medical opiates, that hasn't turned out well - NHS sponsored "bad trip".

Shall we say I shan't be volunteering for any trials?  I like my autism just fine as it is, thanks!

Thanks for throwing that "red meat" out there.  Lol, this could make for interesting discussion.

Children