Underestimating Meditation

I've been on this forum for a few years now and, so many of the conversations about meltdowns / shutdowns I've been involved with seem to include chat about trying meditation once or twice as a solution / remedy and 'it not working for me'. So I thought I dedicate a thread specifically to it.

I write this because it has taken me to do the same, try, lose interest, and consider it not right for me, for the past 12-15 years.

It was only after about 6/7 years I realised that I just needed to include it in my daily routine, everyday, even days when I feel so hyped up I don't see any immediate benefit in it, that it has had a knock on effect.

Emotions become something I now observe arriving, I question my compulsions before I react. It has retrained my natural tendancy to react in physical ways, be it behavioural or physiological. It has put my IBD into remission for years, much to the Dr's disbelief.

It has done something to me I can't explain, but it took committing to it 100% to reach that point.

So, in short, I recommend it to all of you. Even those of you reading this saying 'oh no, it definitely doesn't work for me'. I said the same, I was wrong

Pray

Parents Reply
  • Ah so glad to read this, I really feel like (very quietly, and without much effort beyond just committing to it being part of my daily routine) it has fully changed my life.

Sounds dramatic but is for sure true

Children
  • Definitely.

Just wished more people here would realise, that they ('yes you, reading this now') are no different from me.

I struggled for over 10-15 years to commit to a daily meditation practice, but, I did, I have, and it has helped a lot!

It can help anyone, no matter how distractible your mind is.

I have ASD, and ADHD, my mind is a battle ground often with constant ideas, data absorption, sensory overload and anxious concerns.

But meditation does something deep within my mind, that helps. A lot.

Hope it helps you too Slight smile

• Autistic people tend to retreat to their mind in a unhealthy way (suffer or dwell way too long on difficult things even if not actually suffering).  Meditation, or variations of it, are healthier way to use your mind, and if done daily then you will start to notice the benefits of that.  It is mind and mindset changing first really, and kind of life changing perhaps because of that.