Brilliant autistic book Neuroqueer Heresies by autistic academic Nick Walker

Hello fellow autistic people, I thought I would recommend this brilliant book by Nick Walker. It’s about the neurodiversity paradigm and autistic culture, it is basically a collection of her essays on these subjects.

I hope this interests you and you enjoy the book as much as I do!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neuroqueer-Heresies-Neurodiversity-Empowerment-Possibilities/dp/1945955260/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2D4T9NJO9MFI6&keywords=neuroqueer+heresies&qid=1660426637&sprefix=neuroq%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-1

Parents
  • Thank you for the recommendation. I’m looking for some books to read on autism and the autistic experience as I haven’t read anything yet. I, perhaps wrongly, felt like I needed to wait for a diagnosis before doing any reading. It’s a year on from my diagnosis and I feel ready, after joining in here and exploring this website along with others, to do so. 

Perhaps this will be the book I will start with. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any other recommendations to go alongside this one, as a good place to start my reading?

Thanks in advance.

• I would recommend reading the following by autistic people:

Temple Grandin - The Autistic Brain, thats a good book about autism and also herself, and worth reading about her as age means she was a child when autism wasn't really know enough, and far from how things are today. 

Chris Packham - Fingers in the Sparkle Jar
    Dara McNulty -   The Young Naturalist

Bought those two as align closely, both as child and adult.

Two books I haven't bought yet but should be good based on what i know.

I can recommend Drama Queen by Sara Gibbs based on following her on twitter, though not bought it yet, though should.

Explaining Humans by Camilla Pang, recommended off twitter.

Also Pete Wharmby has a book coming out next March called Untypical, which should be good 

NT authors:

The Complete Guide to Aspergers by Tony Attwood, controversial author but this book was useful to me to understand high-functioning autism  

• Thank you for going to the lengths you have to write this all out. It’s nice to have a starting point. I wasn’t having too much luck on my own. I’m interested in the Temple Grandin book you recommended, it sounds like an ideal starting place. I’m interested in the Chris Packham book too as another good starting point. Thanks again.

• No problem.  I can also recommend Aspergers In Love by Maxine C. Aston for those in relationships, because it highlights typical difficulties and issues that occur.

Buying the kindle version first is a good idea, if available, as you can instantly download it and start reading it, and then if you now its worth it for you then buy the paperback/hardback version later on. 

• No problem.  I can also recommend Aspergers In Love by Maxine C. Aston for those in relationships, because it highlights typical difficulties and issues that occur.

Buying the kindle version first is a good idea, if available, as you can instantly download it and start reading it, and then if you now its worth it for you then buy the paperback/hardback version later on. 

Children
No Data