Getting older with autism

The older I get the more I notice a difference between me and my peers regarding my social skills, and the more they notice a difference in me too.

I feel like as everyone is getting older and maturing i'm just frozen in time. Forever trapped as a younger person stuck in the body of an adult, no matter what I do. `No matter how hard I mask.

I felt the first big jump when I was transitioning into my teenage years. I just wanted to mess about, play classical playground games, do what we used to do. But girls my age just wanted to sit around talking about boys. Everything was changing and it was nerve wracking.

I'm now turning 23 and I'm noticing the big jump again, except this time it's worse, harder. I don't know what to do to emulate my peers at all. They can just tell that I'm different. 

I don't want to get pushed out, I want friends. A romantic relationship. I've been craving more structure relationship wise because of this, a relationship with rules. I've returned to religion, not because I'm necessarily a believer but because religious people tend to have well defined social rules that I can learn, follow, and as long as I stick to those rules I'm less likely to be socially ostracised.

I'm in a lot of distress. I don't know what to do. Everything is changing so fast, faster than I can keep up with.

Parents
  • For me, I did child reasonably well, barring hating school, adolescence to 18 was horrific, 18 to 25 I was uncomfortable in myself, 25 to 35 hitting my stride, things improving, 35-45 continued improvement. 45+ more or less comfortable in my own skin. 

Barring childhood, I found that the older I got the better I got internally, I didn't do 'being young' at all well.

• For me, I did child reasonably well, barring hating school, adolescence to 18 was horrific, 18 to 25 I was uncomfortable in myself, 25 to 35 hitting my stride, things improving, 35-45 continued improvement. 45+ more or less comfortable in my own skin. 

Barring childhood, I found that the older I got the better I got internally, I didn't do 'being young' at all well.

Children
No Data