Work

Hi, I'm Katy. I'm finding work difficult at the moment and feel like I might be burning out gradually. I work as a Personal Assistant and spend most of my time at work in my office typing and answering the phone, both are hard to do especially the phone but I do ok. But at the moment there's a new guy on the floor and he keeps coming in my office and asks how it's going and he walks behind me and keeps putting his hand on my shoulder, he doesn't do anything just places his hand and that's it and asks how I am, if I need any help, how's my day. It triggers my anxiety and making conversation is something I struggle with. It's basically taking me from my comfort zone and I don't know what to do about it. I mask at work anyway but I'm having to mask more now and I'm exhausted and my nerves are in pieces.

I always enjoyed going into work, into my office where I could put my head down and get on with what I'm good at doing but now I'm not liking it and some days I don't want to go in anymore. This has been my one and only job, I've never worked anywhere else and wanted to change but now I'm thinking about going somewhere else.

I don't know what to do.

Parents
  • Sorry you're struggling with work at the moment but it sounds like it can be salvaged as you enjoyed it before!

Another option would be to acknowledge this new guy when he enters your office and address him before he asks you how you are doing. So he has no need to come over and touch you. 

Or do you have a door you could shut in your office so they would have to knock before entering? I recently had my desk moved to a corner as I hated people being behind me and now I can see when people are approaching which has taken a lot of the stress away.

• Hi thanks for replying and for the great suggestion. I'm using Covid precautions today and that's working well but I can't do it forever so next time he does come in I'll try to force myself to talk first and stop him coming over. I do have a door and it's always closed but people just come in all the time without knocking, oh I hate that lol. I always knock before going in someone's office.

• Hi thanks for replying and for the great suggestion. I'm using Covid precautions today and that's working well but I can't do it forever so next time he does come in I'll try to force myself to talk first and stop him coming over. I do have a door and it's always closed but people just come in all the time without knocking, oh I hate that lol. I always knock before going in someone's office.

Children
No Data