Work

Hi, I'm Katy. I'm finding work difficult at the moment and feel like I might be burning out gradually. I work as a Personal Assistant and spend most of my time at work in my office typing and answering the phone, both are hard to do especially the phone but I do ok. But at the moment there's a new guy on the floor and he keeps coming in my office and asks how it's going and he walks behind me and keeps putting his hand on my shoulder, he doesn't do anything just places his hand and that's it and asks how I am, if I need any help, how's my day. It triggers my anxiety and making conversation is something I struggle with. It's basically taking me from my comfort zone and I don't know what to do about it. I mask at work anyway but I'm having to mask more now and I'm exhausted and my nerves are in pieces.

I always enjoyed going into work, into my office where I could put my head down and get on with what I'm good at doing but now I'm not liking it and some days I don't want to go in anymore. This has been my one and only job, I've never worked anywhere else and wanted to change but now I'm thinking about going somewhere else.

I don't know what to do.

Parents
  • it will be difficult as most other places you move to will likely be more invasive.
    the guy may probably stop doing that eventually when he realises your response is probably the same and predictable all the time so he cant get a different response, i mean surely if you keep just saying fine all the time hed stop asking right? (i dont know why i asked that as they never do stop even when they get the same response all the time) and if you dont really say anything else it would be awkward for him and hed surely leave.

this is probably whats harder for women, because you get men swarming around you for attention hoping to build some bond or relationship. while if you was a man youd be left alone and people would be afraid of speaking to you. but then it will be awkward and feel bad of you to tell him to stop wouldnt it? i know i certainly hate telling people what to do myself and just let anyone do whatever. 

you could perhaps use covid as a excuse... like, maybe put some yellow tape on the ground in perimeter of you or something and make it clear you dont want anyone going near you and for people to keep their distance, claim your worried about covid and you dont want all of them passing their germs to you. that should keep them at bay as work places are more open to covid regulations like that and would perhaps see you as forward thinking on covid control. 

• Hi thanks for replying. I tried your idea this morning, I did as you suggested with Covid and being worried and not wanting to get it and with levels on the rise I'm doing it for all our safety and I left a message in the work group chat and it was a success! He hasn't come near my office all morning. It's bliss, just me and my work. No interruptions at all. If only every day was like it.

I'm going to do this for as long as I can. I mean I know I could say to him to go and leave me in peace but I'm like you I can't bring myself to do it and just sit and suffer in silence. But I am enjoying the peace today. One of my colleagues said she thought being cautious today was a good idea.

• Hi thanks for replying. I tried your idea this morning, I did as you suggested with Covid and being worried and not wanting to get it and with levels on the rise I'm doing it for all our safety and I left a message in the work group chat and it was a success! He hasn't come near my office all morning. It's bliss, just me and my work. No interruptions at all. If only every day was like it.

I'm going to do this for as long as I can. I mean I know I could say to him to go and leave me in peace but I'm like you I can't bring myself to do it and just sit and suffer in silence. But I am enjoying the peace today. One of my colleagues said she thought being cautious today was a good idea.

Children
No Data