Social prescriber

Hi, I’m 21 (female not that it really matters to me) I went to the drs for my mental health as I’m really struggling with all aspects of life at the moment. Being an adult is HARD. I’m starting a new job on 15th as an apprentice in an office witch I’m really looking forward to but also really nervous and really sad about leaving my other job and other things. My dr says I have a lot of adult things going on and that I might not be quite ready to deal with it all on my own.  

I told my dr everything that’s going on and she’s got me referred for a social prescriber. Brilliant. Just one question. What on earth do they do? I’ve tried googling it but I can’t wrap my head around it.

Thanks,

Andi 

Parents
  • Honestly I thought of asking to be referred to a social prescriber because one of my biggest issues with mental health is social isolation. But they can’t really refer me to services that don’t exist can they? It’s not like I’m agoraphobic or super anxious. I just don’t get on well with most people. And even when I do I don’t really bond with people if we don’t have some special interest in common.

most of my friends have been made through

• anime / Japanese popular culture 
    • exotic science
    • Obscure music that’s waining in popularity (goth / industrial)
    • lewd intrests I couldn’t possibly repeat in an upstanding forum like this.

by far the most successful has been anime and I’ve tried everything to either get involved in or start a new group based around anime. I doubt a social proscriber could help me with that.

I already:

• go to the one monthly goth night in my area (it’s nice but not a great place to meet new people)
    • tried to set up a club to go to anime at the cinema. 16 people signed up online but after 5 outings not one has come.
    • a long time ago, tried to set up a club for PhD students to put on lectures about weird science. No one signed up and I wouldn’t know how do do something like that any more with out a student unions backing.

you can’t say I’m not trying but the services that might help me be less isolated just aren’t there. Which is I expect exactly what a social proscriber would say.

I even signed up for charity that does dating for autistic people and people with intellectual disabilities. And I know how that looks but I made a point of asking them if it was suitable for high functioning persons first.

but they’ve discontinued their dating service and when I enquired about their friend making service they couldn’t match me with anyone. They events are largely attended by on the whole lovely but not very talkative people with moderate to severe intellectual disabilities.

even the services that on paper should be there to help people like me in practice aren’t there.

• Honestly I thought of asking to be referred to a social prescriber because one of my biggest issues with mental health is social isolation. But they can’t really refer me to services that don’t exist can they? It’s not like I’m agoraphobic or super anxious. I just don’t get on well with most people. And even when I do I don’t really bond with people if we don’t have some special interest in common.

most of my friends have been made through

• anime / Japanese popular culture 
    • exotic science
    • Obscure music that’s waining in popularity (goth / industrial)
    • lewd intrests I couldn’t possibly repeat in an upstanding forum like this.

by far the most successful has been anime and I’ve tried everything to either get involved in or start a new group based around anime. I doubt a social proscriber could help me with that.

I already:

• go to the one monthly goth night in my area (it’s nice but not a great place to meet new people)
    • tried to set up a club to go to anime at the cinema. 16 people signed up online but after 5 outings not one has come.
    • a long time ago, tried to set up a club for PhD students to put on lectures about weird science. No one signed up and I wouldn’t know how do do something like that any more with out a student unions backing.

you can’t say I’m not trying but the services that might help me be less isolated just aren’t there. Which is I expect exactly what a social proscriber would say.

I even signed up for charity that does dating for autistic people and people with intellectual disabilities. And I know how that looks but I made a point of asking them if it was suitable for high functioning persons first.

but they’ve discontinued their dating service and when I enquired about their friend making service they couldn’t match me with anyone. They events are largely attended by on the whole lovely but not very talkative people with moderate to severe intellectual disabilities.

even the services that on paper should be there to help people like me in practice aren’t there.

Children
No Data