A question liked to sensory challenges

If an autistic individual struggles with one of their senses being ‘overly’ sensitive, is it reasonable/common to have another sense be ‘under’ sensitive?

For example, I am very sensitive to noise- to a painful level. This is something, by reading on here, that I know a lot of us struggle with. I also know that others recognise sensitivities in their other senses. I would argue that my sense of smell is pretty sensitive, as is my sense of taste. My vision not so much. I can spot tiny details, but often miss larger things right in front of me. But the sense I really find lacking is that of my ability to detect when I’m cold or have hurt myself. My pain threshold is pretty high as a result. I detest being hot and I also don’t like being touched, except with warning from a select few people, but I really struggle to pick up on when I’ve hurt myself. A few months ago I walked in from a satisfying time in the garage of cleaning, organising and finishing a project, went to talk to my wife who immediately asked what I’d done. She looked a bit concerned, but I didn’t really know what she was worried about until she’d told me. I had a really deep cut on my leg and was bleeding to a reasonable level. I just didn’t feel it or recognise that I’d done it. It wasn’t anything bad, just required a bit of looking after it and now have an oddly shaped scar. But this sort of thing happens quite a lot to me. 

It might not be a thing, but it was a question I’ve been wondering about. It would be great to hear your thoughts/ experiences. Perhaps it’s just something linked to me, but equally, I’d be interested to see if other people have comparable instances or to see if it is something linked to autism or not.

Parents
  • Yes it's definitely an autistic thing. Different senses can be under or over sensitive.

There's a good explanation on here with some examples https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/sensory-differences/sensory-differences/all-audiences

With me I'm definitely over sensitive to noise and that has caused huge problems for me throughout my life. I am over sensitive to smell and hate air fresheners and most laundry products. I am oversensitive to touch and hate being touched

I think my pain threshold must be quite low. It's difficult to compare yourself to others, as you can't feel what they are experiencing. I know whenever I need a filling at the dentist I always have to ask them to give me a double dose of the local anaesthetic. They tell me they've given me enough to tranquillise a horse and sometimes I still feel it!

The sense where I am probably under sensitive is sight. On that link I posted one of the examples given for under sensitive sight is

• poor depth perception, difficulties with throwing and catching, clumsiness. 

I have that for sure. I couldn't catch a ball if my life depended on it. However I always thought it was due to my dyspraxia and not a sensory issue.

• Yes it's definitely an autistic thing. Different senses can be under or over sensitive.

There's a good explanation on here with some examples https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/sensory-differences/sensory-differences/all-audiences

With me I'm definitely over sensitive to noise and that has caused huge problems for me throughout my life. I am over sensitive to smell and hate air fresheners and most laundry products. I am oversensitive to touch and hate being touched

I think my pain threshold must be quite low. It's difficult to compare yourself to others, as you can't feel what they are experiencing. I know whenever I need a filling at the dentist I always have to ask them to give me a double dose of the local anaesthetic. They tell me they've given me enough to tranquillise a horse and sometimes I still feel it!

The sense where I am probably under sensitive is sight. On that link I posted one of the examples given for under sensitive sight is

• poor depth perception, difficulties with throwing and catching, clumsiness. 

I have that for sure. I couldn't catch a ball if my life depended on it. However I always thought it was due to my dyspraxia and not a sensory issue.

Children
  • Thanks for the link- it was nice to read of the over/under for each sense. Some things I hadn’t really thought about before too. 

My depth perception can be a little off at times, mostly when tired or in a stage approaching burnout. I tend to knock things over a lot with my hands then.