I don't know to engage with people

Hi everyone!

I just joined today. I have been recently feeling down as my social skills is still an issue.

Recently my bf told me last weekend that I don't know how to have a conversation, all I do is talk at him, go on about the same stuff, talk for hours, repeat myself and always talk about my same interests and never engage in a 2 way conversation.

He also asked why I don't notice that he isn't talking back, looking bored, and not engaging with me. 

I am simply not aware that I do that, all I know is that I am very comfortable with him to share and talk about my passion and interests. In no way do I feel like I'm talking at him, plus I'm not good at reading people's body language, so I had no idea he was bored, I thought he was just listening cause he was interested in the conversation.

On the other hand I am very quiet and awkward around people I don't know, don't feel comfortable with or just can't connect with. There are only a couple people in my life I have this over talkative nature with. For I'm mostly known for being quiet, shy and social awkward.

I dunno what to do any more or how to control this, when I don't talk much he thinks, I'm depressed or something is wrong. When I suddenly talk, I'm this annoying machine that doesn't stop.

This is why I don't have any friends really as I don't know how to engage properly with people.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you for reading. 

Parents
  • can I ask personal question? 

how did you get a job in accountancy, I'm trying for years and nothing, and zero experience on CV

• Urm to be honest it's a weird one, job interviews is one of my strengths in masking. 

It's seems I end up knowing what I'm talking about, even when I don't really. 

But I also have this obssesion with numbers, and calculating everything in my head. 

I'm not one of those genius at maths but I have a passion for numbers, budgeting, attention to details, forcasting, resolving money issues etc.

But to get back how I manage to get into the role, was based on that I already work for the company for a long time, but in a entirely different position and department. Then one day I apply for that position and they gave me an interview cos that I already work for the company, but they were blown away by my interview and passion.

Sorry I know that doesn't help.

Do you get any interviews tho?

Have you tried to take any training courses? 

• I've got AAT lvl 4 Diploma  in Accountancy

autistic women are masters of disguise, my mask cracks after 20min of face-to-face

I had in total about 50 interviews for jobs in accountancy

only once there was some testing of basic understanding

comapny name Crunch, there was 500 applicants, so

stage 1 basic knowledge test, only 30 applicants  left LOL BIGTIME

stage 2 working in a groups of 8 and come up with an idea of a solution and present it

I was in final 4

stage 3 face-to-face interview - I'm out

that one was the closest one

2 weeks later, the same job offer was back on the offer, but they did not want me

• it never actually happened for me to go along with that type of people, under any circumstances

do not worry, I accepted that I can't find solution 

even when it's Zoom interview, from home and I do not get anxious, I had two this year, and two 'no thank you'

I applied for Bsc Math from September, Brighton's Uni has placement year in program, so I'll have experience on CV

online advice about how to conduct oneself during interview to me sounds complete gibberish

• I do get the extreme anxiousness and the tapping before an interview. But with that, I end up becoming this different person when I'm in there. I end up making them laugh and etc... I don't know how I do it... 

I'm not sure what tips I can give you to overcome an interview, as I myself really don't know what I do. 

• Sorry

Why are you sorry? you had nothing to do with it

final 4 out of 500 is nothing, I did better odds when I was younger, e.g.1st among 400 in math at uni, except there was only one real competitor, during 2 weeks lasting challenge between 30 with max marks at the end of the year,  28 was out during 1st day, and there was nothing remotely complecated for me, we've been solving everything equally with the other guy until he stumbled on something he had no concept of, in total it took 31 hours

• I had a nice chat with you

you are the first autistic accountant I met, so from now on you're my role model Smiley

but reality demands I go shopping now so I can make a dinner during the day, today

I dislike cooking at night, it makes me feel like I'm going to wake up everyone in the building if I drop a pot or something LOL

May autistic joy accompany you Smiley

• I had a nice chat with you

you are the first autistic accountant I met, so from now on you're my role model Smiley

but reality demands I go shopping now so I can make a dinner during the day, today

I dislike cooking at night, it makes me feel like I'm going to wake up everyone in the building if I drop a pot or something LOL

May autistic joy accompany you Smiley

Children
No Data