I don't know to engage with people

Hi everyone!

I just joined today. I have been recently feeling down as my social skills is still an issue.

Recently my bf told me last weekend that I don't know how to have a conversation, all I do is talk at him, go on about the same stuff, talk for hours, repeat myself and always talk about my same interests and never engage in a 2 way conversation.

He also asked why I don't notice that he isn't talking back, looking bored, and not engaging with me. 

I am simply not aware that I do that, all I know is that I am very comfortable with him to share and talk about my passion and interests. In no way do I feel like I'm talking at him, plus I'm not good at reading people's body language, so I had no idea he was bored, I thought he was just listening cause he was interested in the conversation.

On the other hand I am very quiet and awkward around people I don't know, don't feel comfortable with or just can't connect with. There are only a couple people in my life I have this over talkative nature with. For I'm mostly known for being quiet, shy and social awkward.

I dunno what to do any more or how to control this, when I don't talk much he thinks, I'm depressed or something is wrong. When I suddenly talk, I'm this annoying machine that doesn't stop.

This is why I don't have any friends really as I don't know how to engage properly with people.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you for reading. 

Parents
  • can I ask personal question? 

how did you get a job in accountancy, I'm trying for years and nothing, and zero experience on CV

• Urm to be honest it's a weird one, job interviews is one of my strengths in masking. 

It's seems I end up knowing what I'm talking about, even when I don't really. 

But I also have this obssesion with numbers, and calculating everything in my head. 

I'm not one of those genius at maths but I have a passion for numbers, budgeting, attention to details, forcasting, resolving money issues etc.

But to get back how I manage to get into the role, was based on that I already work for the company for a long time, but in a entirely different position and department. Then one day I apply for that position and they gave me an interview cos that I already work for the company, but they were blown away by my interview and passion.

Sorry I know that doesn't help.

Do you get any interviews tho?

Have you tried to take any training courses? 

• during college I did  learn VBA alongside so I could write myself macro, that creates the whole system of ledgers in excel, including all calculations, trial balance, SoA, all historical recording that law requires from a company

available on a click of a button to show off Stuck out tongue

• during college I did  learn VBA alongside so I could write myself macro, that creates the whole system of ledgers in excel, including all calculations, trial balance, SoA, all historical recording that law requires from a company

available on a click of a button to show off Stuck out tongue

Children
No Data