Question about Specific Learning Disorder and Intellectual Developmental Disorder

What is the difference between Intellectual Developmental Disorder and Specific Learning Disorder? Both of those neurodevelopmental disorders include difficulties with learning.

Parents
  • Hmmm, you probably need a text book or an expert to define them, and I might not be right here, but I think it's the difference between an intellectual disability, which might mean a lower IQ and general learning problems, and a specific issue, say dyslexia, in which there's normal to high IQ and general cognitive development and learning are fine, but a little glitch say with reading or number.

Most of those little glitches; dyslexia, dyscalcula, dyspraxia are, like autism, a neurodivergence. They occur sometimes with autism and likewise may come with benefits in seeing things a bit differently, as well as draw backs like making it harder to, say learn to read.

• That makes sense, it is just confusing because I have a history of having symptoms that overlap with IDD, but it is not IDD, It was a Global Developmental Delay during childhood and drastically improved over time and my IQ fluctuated as well.

• That makes sense, it is just confusing because I have a history of having symptoms that overlap with IDD, but it is not IDD, It was a Global Developmental Delay during childhood and drastically improved over time and my IQ fluctuated as well.

Children
No Data