Something about older autistic adults (>60), for a change

To me there still seems to be a gap in the market, with most resources focussing on autistic children and young adults and hardly anything for older people.  So it makes a change to see a video on the experience of older autistic people. 

We could really due with resources that cover the whole lifespan, I think, including end of life care (my unidentified autistic dad died on a busy, noisy ward (radio 2 blaring constantly, as if this would automatically be helpful to patients) which, even though I wasn't aware of our neurodivergence even just a few years ago, I know would have made him much less comfortable).

Dad enjoyed peace and quiet, or maybe a little Radio 4 and I remember thinking that it was a pity he wouldn't wear earphones (great difficulty putting up with anything around his head or face, including glasses).  We all need and deserve much better as we grow older.

www.youtube.com/watch  

Parents
  • I actually find it scocking to hear that I am satistically likey to live a shorter life, never occured to me. However how many people over 40 have actually been disgnosed? I guess those that have been diagnosed back in the 1970-90's had more severe issues to get diagnosed in the first place. I would think there are probably 250,000 undiagnosed older adults, maybe twice that. 

• I actually find it scocking to hear that I am satistically likey to live a shorter life, never occured to me. However how many people over 40 have actually been disgnosed? I guess those that have been diagnosed back in the 1970-90's had more severe issues to get diagnosed in the first place. I would think there are probably 250,000 undiagnosed older adults, maybe twice that. 

Children
  • Good point, and that study says 'We first identified all individuals with an ASD diagnosis in the National Patient Register between 1987 and 2009.' So I wonder what 'high functioning' in 1987 was like compared to 2009 and how much that distorts towards a possibly more pessimistic average than is warranted?