Not at all sure I fit in here

Having read comments here over the last couple of days  I'm increasingly wondering whether this community/forum is a good fit for me.  Whereas I'm not a severe autistic needing 24x7x365 care I also can't identify with the high powered careers and lives  many of you seem to have.

To some degree that may be due to having a comorbid  schizophrenia/schizo-affective dx.It's a compatibility issue not one where any of you have done anything wrong. I've never had a paid job.I lead a rather basic lifestyle to minimise stress . Stress being my 'green kryptonite'. Even then it's only with quite a lot of support  That's because  in  my case adaptive functioning is significantly < than would reasonably be expected given my level of intelligence.

I've not read much at all about others here being in the same boat, which leads me to believe I'm something of an 'outlier'.

Parents
  • Please stay! Please? Or consider it. No pressure, but I for one would appreciate it a lot. You've just done me a massive favour by starting a topic that I was going to try and be brave enough to initiate myself  at some point. Approaching it from a slightly different angle maybe (which I'll go into later once I feel up to it) but it's a huge relief to read those words 'while I'm..... but can't identify....' to the point where I could almost cry with relief. I'm not expressing what I mean very well, but will try to do so in a while. We're on the same page, or very similar pages. I don't have  schizophrenia but in other respects I can relate so much to everything you're feeling. 

• Please stay! Please? Or consider it. No pressure, but I for one would appreciate it a lot. You've just done me a massive favour by starting a topic that I was going to try and be brave enough to initiate myself  at some point. Approaching it from a slightly different angle maybe (which I'll go into later once I feel up to it) but it's a huge relief to read those words 'while I'm..... but can't identify....' to the point where I could almost cry with relief. I'm not expressing what I mean very well, but will try to do so in a while. We're on the same page, or very similar pages. I don't have  schizophrenia but in other respects I can relate so much to everything you're feeling. 

Children
  • That’s a good point Shardovan. Maybe you don’t realise Firemonkey that you’ve probably helped so many people with your comments on here? This is a supportive network and you are a part of that - so your presence here has real value. The more support autistic people have the better - because there is not enough out there in society in general. But here we are each other’s support aren’t we? Which is something to really treasure.