Newbie klaxon

Hello everyone, I'm David, I'm 52 and I had my assessment earlier this week.

I've struggled since childhood with social communication and general anxiety so I've always known or at least thought that there was something not quite the same about me as opposed to what felt like the rest of the population. I did however, somehow, meet and eventually marry someone - that lasted for 13 years by which time I had had enough of trying to suppress my traits and idiosyncracies and - literally - ran out screaming one day, never to return to the family home! Saying that, I'm quite sure I had driven my OH up the wall by that time too so it was probably always going to happen and it was probably for the best.

It was just after leaving that I decided I needed to pursue help and a diagnosis and looking back, it's amazing how we managed to stay together for so long under the circumstances. The diagnosis was no surprise, sure it gives me a feeling of validation but it also makes me very fearful as to how the rest of my life is going to pan out now. Hoping that being in this group might help me out!