Autistic hgv driver

Hello,

I was diagnosed with ASD in 2020 at 38. I'd been driving hgvs for 6 years before my diagnosis but I decided to take some time off work to research ASD and how it affects me. I've done some hgv driving since my diagnosis but I didn't declare my ASD which made it difficult to tell my co-workers/employer that I am autistic so I've had to continue masking constantly. I've now decided to start declaring my autism from the start so I don't have to mask as much, dvsa have told me that I don't need to declare autism to them as I passed my tests and had driven for so many years before I was diagnosed that it obviously doesn't affect my driving. Has anyone on here applied for any kind of driving work and declared ASD at the application/interview stage and got the job or have you found it difficult to find work when declaring ASD.

Parents
  • I had to stop driving after some point, because my life was getting stressful at some point and I was unable to have all attention on the road.

But, I personally think, that people with ASD, who have great concentration skills can be excellent HGV drivers - especially if you are in your cabin on your own and in control of your driving, which you do according to DVLA rules and know probably way better than NTs.

I don't see why you need to declare in interview, that you have ASD(just like Dawn mentioned, because that is not affecting driving as a health condition) - the only reasons I am declaring in interviews, that I have ASD, because interviews are making me really stressed out - not the job itself, especially if I have all control delegated to me. I think you will be fine.

ASD is not going to describe you - you will eventually figure out, that people on ASD can be wildly different. The main issue I find that not all people understand what ASD is exactly, but I can see where this could be used for things, where are communication issues, though You are probably smart enough to not get into company, that is not good towards their employees. Besides, it is always good to upgrade your skills and look for better placement.

Anyway, good luck with your hgv job(where ASD is not something that employer would be worried about, but your work experience and skills)!

• I'm declaring my ASD from the start because then I don't have to mask so much when I'm in the yard or doing a CPC course which involves being in a classroom environment discussing different aspects of hgv driving for 7 hours with 10-15 other drivers. It would be difficult to take a job then declare my ASD afterwards as It could then be brought into question as to why I hid it which could lead to all sorts of issues. The other thing is it would be nice to be able to try and change some people's perspective on ASD and maybe dispell some of the generic/outdated stereotypical views of autism by working in an tough industry such as haulage as an openly autistic hgv driver. I'm never going to change the world but if I can change the environment around me to make my life a bit easier then it's got to be worth a try.

• I had different life experience and at some point it was important to me to be part of the pack. But in your age - it is ok to be yourself and there is no social pressure on HGV drivers to be happy chaps, especially if they are on a job.

The issue with representing other ASD people is that it is oxymoronic idea which can backfire - 99.99% of autistic people won't be hgv drivers and not like you as well. I have slightly different approach - I am representing myself, who has ASD(ASD is not even major id to me) and I have learned hard way, that representing a group is a major energy drain to me and whenever I have such idea in my mind, I try to consider everything that I could or not handle and mostly I try to narrow scope of what I can represent - too much responsibilities and reasons to have a meltdown.

Most of the issues I had in my workplaces were with people who were mean to all people and they were picking people who were felling vulnerable - it was not always me. They usually were not comfortable working in that job. Declaring ASD would not have changed anything to me, as I am not trying to hide if someone has pissed me off.

Well, I have watched some YT videos from truckers(I had some idea to do that as a carreer change, but maybe that was not a good idea after all) and I am aware of what is truckers work life. So, the scope of that perspective is not because of people, who personally know them or are truckers, but because what they had as a story in YT.

There are quite many ASD streamers(this is not related to truckers) - even live streamers and all of them are wildly different and ASD is only part of their character and not even the biggest part. So, Idk - I would aim to represent yourself - to me it has been a challenge(representing myself - not you Smiley), because sometimes I had to take a pause and question if all my thoughts are actually mine or mirrored from coworkers or people I am communicating with. Though, I can see reasons why people would want to represent ASD, as there is not much representation, but the main issue is that ASD are not really that similar as you might think. For example, people nowadays think, that Elon Muskis repressenting ASD, but at the same time I can see Putin or even Adolf Hitler fit for ASD, so would you really want to be represented by something that makes some people different to NT or by results of what you do? Be yourself - your coworkers will see you as you first and ASD will be only part of what makes you.

• I had different life experience and at some point it was important to me to be part of the pack. But in your age - it is ok to be yourself and there is no social pressure on HGV drivers to be happy chaps, especially if they are on a job.

The issue with representing other ASD people is that it is oxymoronic idea which can backfire - 99.99% of autistic people won't be hgv drivers and not like you as well. I have slightly different approach - I am representing myself, who has ASD(ASD is not even major id to me) and I have learned hard way, that representing a group is a major energy drain to me and whenever I have such idea in my mind, I try to consider everything that I could or not handle and mostly I try to narrow scope of what I can represent - too much responsibilities and reasons to have a meltdown.

Most of the issues I had in my workplaces were with people who were mean to all people and they were picking people who were felling vulnerable - it was not always me. They usually were not comfortable working in that job. Declaring ASD would not have changed anything to me, as I am not trying to hide if someone has pissed me off.

Well, I have watched some YT videos from truckers(I had some idea to do that as a carreer change, but maybe that was not a good idea after all) and I am aware of what is truckers work life. So, the scope of that perspective is not because of people, who personally know them or are truckers, but because what they had as a story in YT.

There are quite many ASD streamers(this is not related to truckers) - even live streamers and all of them are wildly different and ASD is only part of their character and not even the biggest part. So, Idk - I would aim to represent yourself - to me it has been a challenge(representing myself - not you Smiley), because sometimes I had to take a pause and question if all my thoughts are actually mine or mirrored from coworkers or people I am communicating with. Though, I can see reasons why people would want to represent ASD, as there is not much representation, but the main issue is that ASD are not really that similar as you might think. For example, people nowadays think, that Elon Muskis repressenting ASD, but at the same time I can see Putin or even Adolf Hitler fit for ASD, so would you really want to be represented by something that makes some people different to NT or by results of what you do? Be yourself - your coworkers will see you as you first and ASD will be only part of what makes you.

Children
No Data