Opening a bank account problems

Hi,

Is it possible to open a bank account for my 18 year old son without photo ID?  I have two significant challenges.  Firstly my son refuses to use a mobile phone and secondly the banks are insisting on photo ID in the form of a driving licence (! - provisional or full)) or a passport. He doesn't have an in date passport.  If I apply for a provisional driving licence I have to send his birth certificate (which they don't guarantee I will receive back) and a letter from the DWP showing his national insurance number. I can do this but the letter I have shows an amount for mobility support which, I would imagine, may make the likelihood of DVLA granting a provisional licence rather slim.  If this is refused my only other option appears to be to apply for a passport at the cost of £75 plus a 10 week wait.  This seems ridiculous.  Are there really no other options?  

Any advice anyone?  Is this not disability discrimination? 

All advice gratefully received. 

Karen  x

Parents
  • Regarding the issue with the provisional driving license, it's hard to predict the outcome, but it's worth giving it a try. Sending the necessary documents along with the letter from the DWP might still lead to a positive result. As for the passport, while the cost and waiting time are indeed frustrating, it might be a viable solution if all else fails.

Keep in mind that I'm not a legal expert, but it doesn't appear to be disability discrimination in this context. However, if you feel that your son's rights are being unfairly treated, you could seek advice from a professional in that field to understand your options better.

I hope these suggestions help, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution for your son's bank account. By the way, if you're interested in exploring the fastest business bank accounts, you might want to check out some online banks or fintech companies that offer streamlined account opening processes.fastest business bank accounts

• Regarding the issue with the provisional driving license, it's hard to predict the outcome, but it's worth giving it a try. Sending the necessary documents along with the letter from the DWP might still lead to a positive result. As for the passport, while the cost and waiting time are indeed frustrating, it might be a viable solution if all else fails.

Keep in mind that I'm not a legal expert, but it doesn't appear to be disability discrimination in this context. However, if you feel that your son's rights are being unfairly treated, you could seek advice from a professional in that field to understand your options better.

I hope these suggestions help, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution for your son's bank account. By the way, if you're interested in exploring the fastest business bank accounts, you might want to check out some online banks or fintech companies that offer streamlined account opening processes.fastest business bank accounts

Children
No Data