Universal Credit

Hello

Right now I am experiencing really poor mental health and anxiety issues that she long term ongoing. I feel ill and constantly tired and withdrawn. It's like I'm in a weird haze everyday. 

Anyway. I lost my my recent job at Amazon. Order picker. I was employed there for 4 months but honestly spent most of the time there off with sickness. I only had to sign onto UC again in early March. And have just started seeing a work advisor again in mid April. I am told to look for full time work and warehouse work again.

I'm totally feeling like a rabbit in the headlights. I can't even go into a shop right now without feeling dizzy and having terrible migraines. I'm not sleeping well either. My social skills are just awful. My confidence is rock bottom. I don't feel employable. Definitely not full time work which will just burn me out beyond anything.

I don't know what to think. Am I trully just lazy? I don't feel well that's all I can say. I feel under intense pressure and of course I am afraid of losing my UC money so I don't feel confident to explain how I really feel. I just nod and say yes I am looking for work etc. 

I have mentioned autism. 

I have got 10k of debt too. Built up over last 4 years while being in and out of work. I am thinking bankruptsy but not sure. 

I'm totally overwhelmed. Any advise, support anything would be of help. I appreciate it. 

Parents
  • First I would talk to stepchange and get the money problem attended to , I did this with a DRO last year , It is easy to set up as they will send a big pack to guide you and you can talk to them for help, They are very nice people .

The DWP on the other hand is a whole different ballgame , Request a  limited capability assessment or get 3 sick notes in a row from your gp and then they will automatically make an assessment appointment for you 

I have been volunteered! for the seetec work and health program, and they seem to think I will be back in work in 15months, despite the fact I damaged my knee badly last year and waiting for injections for the pain as the nerve has been damaged and difficult to walk , Also ongoing diagnosis for hearing loss and dizzy spells and waiting for MRI scan results.
    I had the work  limited capability assessment and im ok to look for work despite I cant hear anything on my left side and hobble around in short bursts. I could ask for reconsideration but will probably just go back to my gp for another sick note.

• First I would talk to stepchange and get the money problem attended to , I did this with a DRO last year , It is easy to set up as they will send a big pack to guide you and you can talk to them for help, They are very nice people .

The DWP on the other hand is a whole different ballgame , Request a  limited capability assessment or get 3 sick notes in a row from your gp and then they will automatically make an assessment appointment for you 

I have been volunteered! for the seetec work and health program, and they seem to think I will be back in work in 15months, despite the fact I damaged my knee badly last year and waiting for injections for the pain as the nerve has been damaged and difficult to walk , Also ongoing diagnosis for hearing loss and dizzy spells and waiting for MRI scan results.
    I had the work  limited capability assessment and im ok to look for work despite I cant hear anything on my left side and hobble around in short bursts. I could ask for reconsideration but will probably just go back to my gp for another sick note.

Children
  • Hi thanks for the advice

The good news is that I got on my journal yesterday and was honest and said I was not feeling well and that I am beginning to make phone calls and seek help and I'll speak to GP next week hopefully and the work coach responded positively and didn't sanction me and I've been booked for next appointment in two weeks.

I can't fault the job centre/work coach so far. It's early days but hopefully as long as I work hard to at least speak with people a bit more I'll he OK. Easier said than done sometimes but for now I move on. 

I'm so sorry to hear of you're knee by the way and honestly it makes no sense DWP would force you back into work in the condition you describe. 

I did mention a WCA in my journal to the work coach, and was told that will only happen after I've been issued a sick note first, which as yet I've not been.

I have said I definitely want to work and feel given some time and speaking to people and getting some extra support it will happen sooner rather than later. I've got no issue actually working on a computer, it's my relative strong skill. I get interviews. I secure some jobs, my CV shows that. Problem is I can't at moment stay employed longer than 4 or 5 months, since 2018 that is. I was employed for 7 straight years at ASDA but since then I've been in a constant triad of jobs. At least I've kept getting jobs but my reliability is starting to look questionable to new employers the more this continues. It's going to be questioned and I would have to explain around it. That's always going to be worrying when I'm being interviewed. It's stressful enough dealing with interviews. Rejection is common. I don't want to work retail but I seem to know where else I could realistically go for. I don't have much in way of qualifications and being I'm now in my 30s the support is not quite there like it is for under 25s I guess. Apprenticeships I like the idea. But I don't have my English and Maths uo to standard.

I can do this it's just I need to somehow rebuild my confidence and somehow find a way to improve my social skills and get back out the house more. I hate it really. I don't won't to be a loner and it's like I'm my worst enemy. So weird and draining. I've been looking after myself now for 4 years as my Mum is not actually living with me, she's away long term living with and taking care of my Step Nan who's vulnerable and needs daily support. So basically I spend every day waking up, empty house, nobody to talk to and I find it hard to get moving. Only I can change this I'm told and it's correct of course. I don't know what I'm good at either. 

I honestly would want to work probably for MetOffice or something but I'm no good with numbers lol so I stick to looking for warehouse work and retail which is kind my default thing even though this is probably not exactly an ideal job sector sometimes. Customer service.. serving customers face to face.. doesn't work for me. I can be an order picker in online. Again, issue is I think I suffer some form of sensory overload and spending 12 hours all day working and not talking to anyone and coming home to emptiness.. it's tough mentally. That was mozt recently at Amazon. Massive place. LOADS of walking. Loads of people. My god its a maze and sometimes I'd definitely start feeling a bit overloaded by it all after a few days of that. It's whereas everyone around me has their 'groups', I am of course on my own at every stage. 

Fundamentally I am so confused how to change course.

I'm just in a horrible rut right now and as said feel constantly burnt out. Going in circles. I need to break than circle. I've been on a gradual slide in recent years and feel sorry for myself too much. Its embarrassing sometimes. I can't change the past or change who I am and I know there are people far worse positions than me despite my issues.

Thanks everyone for your advice