Universal Credit

Hello

Right now I am experiencing really poor mental health and anxiety issues that she long term ongoing. I feel ill and constantly tired and withdrawn. It's like I'm in a weird haze everyday. 

Anyway. I lost my my recent job at Amazon. Order picker. I was employed there for 4 months but honestly spent most of the time there off with sickness. I only had to sign onto UC again in early March. And have just started seeing a work advisor again in mid April. I am told to look for full time work and warehouse work again.

I'm totally feeling like a rabbit in the headlights. I can't even go into a shop right now without feeling dizzy and having terrible migraines. I'm not sleeping well either. My social skills are just awful. My confidence is rock bottom. I don't feel employable. Definitely not full time work which will just burn me out beyond anything.

I don't know what to think. Am I trully just lazy? I don't feel well that's all I can say. I feel under intense pressure and of course I am afraid of losing my UC money so I don't feel confident to explain how I really feel. I just nod and say yes I am looking for work etc. 

I have mentioned autism. 

I have got 10k of debt too. Built up over last 4 years while being in and out of work. I am thinking bankruptsy but not sure. 

I'm totally overwhelmed. Any advise, support anything would be of help. I appreciate it. 

Parents
  • There is no such thing as 'Lazy' so stop putting yourself down. I would go into the Job centre with a friend, family member or Advocate and request a limited capability assessment to place you onto the limited capability work group which could double the amount you receive and give you the breathing room to recover from burnout. It is assessed, but not as dismissive as the PIP assessment and is often carried out over the phone. Limited capability are often given breathing room to recover and sometimes don't have to see a work coach regularly. 

I would then, once the you have recovered from burnout wait a few weeks to a months before requesting support to find employment or training. Like i tell everyone employment schemes like the 'Shaw trust health and work programme' don't work and will often stress people out, so avoid them. 

the debt i would contact an organisation 'welfare right' to help budget and get control of the debt. the longer you leave it the less option you'll have to deal with it. 

• Thank you for this. I am just so anxious about being honest or being not believed. Sounds weird but I just end up nodding and agreeing to anything I'm told but I will try to speak up. My worry I suppose is being sanctioned. Should I really worry about this or risk it?

• Thank you for this. I am just so anxious about being honest or being not believed. Sounds weird but I just end up nodding and agreeing to anything I'm told but I will try to speak up. My worry I suppose is being sanctioned. Should I really worry about this or risk it?

Children
  • ‘their targets of sanctioning individuals’ - isn’t that horrendous? What a horrible system.

• I was diagnosed with Autism sometime around 13 or 14 but I have no idea how I would get medical 'proof'. Would I have to ask a GP for this in the NHS? I mean I'd assume I would? 

How to get your medical records:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-get-your-medical-records/

Being I've never been sanctioned before I don't know how severe it would be.. would it be all money for the current assessment period or some percentage?

Universal Credit: Sanctions:

"If you fail to do what you have agreed in your Claimant Commitment without good reason, your Universal Credit payments may be reduced for a set period. This is known as a sanction."

https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/already-claimed/sanctions/

• I was diagnosed with Autism sometime around 13 or 14 but I have no idea how I would get medical 'proof'. Would I have to ask a GP for this in the NHS? I mean I'd assume I would? 

Being I've never been sanctioned before I don't know how severe it would be.. would it be all money for the current assessment period or some percentage?

• Being sanctioned is a possibility, my concern is that you haven't submitted evidence of having autism which would back your need for additional support and adaptations being made. Job centres from my experience are malicious and deliberately not inform you of support or help in order to hit their targets of sanctioning individuals.

By submitting and providing a record of autism spectrum disorder or a mental health diagnosis to them their are less likely to be able to sanction you. At the minuet your an easy target for the work coach to fulfill their quote of sanctions or referrals.

I would speak up, but i wouldn't do it without having someone who can back you up. The work coach is less likely to give you the runaround or miss inform you and if they do you have someone who can bear witness. Do not speak up alone, You'll get nowhere.