Life Hacks

Has anyone got any good life hacks to help manage autism? I use bullet journaling, fiddle things and noise cancelling headphones atm.

Has anyone tried the flare audio earplug things to help with noise sensitivity when it needs to be discrete? I have tried the loop ones but find them too big for me.

Parents
  • Hi, I'm just starting out with finding out what works for me. I've stared collecting soft stim things that I have on my desk and at work. I bought a big bag of faux fur pompoms from Amazon.

I use a journal to plan what I need to do and to makes notes of what I have done. I've split my tasks into fun things, necessary things (like to the laundry, book that appointment) and health/wellbeing. This way I can see if my days are unbalanced and plan to add more of what I need to my week. It also helps me to look back and see that difficult times did pass and often they passed pretty quickly.

I don't use noise cancelling headphones so I cant advise. My work has been having lots of building work done which is very loud, I've been using my regular in-ear headphones to take the edge off, I just stick the wires in my pocket. It works for me because I can still hear people if they try to talk to me. Probably not useful at all for you since it sound like you want more noise exclusion than that.

I also find that being honest with myself and others about what I need helps. Easier said than done sometimes but its little things like telling my hair dresser that I don't want a head massage, saying no thanks to work lunches, asking the doctor to clarify timescales and all the steps of a treatment, going to bed at half 8 on work nights, eating that one same food again because you cant handle anything else at that moment. Most people I find don't need to be told that I'm autistic or have an explanation of why I need an adjustment, I just ask for what I want or don't want. I know that's not true in all cases but it is always worth a try.

• have an explanation of why I need an adjustment,

We don't have to do it, as long as top manager knows about you're being autistic you can refer them to him/her, and tell them it was agreed with him/her. Though I know it might be hard not to

Reply Children