Support at university for students with autism

Hello

My son is looking at applying to university. To help narrow the search, can anyone advise please on which universities offer the best autism support? I have heard Swansea is very good with a dedicated ASC team. Any unis with summer school? Thanks.

• I’m autistic and I’m starting a PgCert at Sheffield Hallam University in October. They are rated highly for their Autism Awareness and support. They have a dedicated Autism Centre and the course is distance learning and is about Autism.

• Cambridge University offers good autism support and is generally an autism friendly environment. At least this is what my autisitc friends have told me. I studied there too, though at the time I had no idea that I am probably autistic. It is the first place I ever made friends, connected to people and felt like I belonged. I met likeminded people there (and I have now realised most of my friends are also neurodivergent). People are also very understanding and don't really mind, if you withdraw for a while (in fact they will just think you are studying super hard). The College system (and also having supervisions in small groups), makes it easier to get to know people. And from what I know from friends the support system there is very good too. 

If your son is very passionate about his subject, it might be a great fit. However even though the support is very good there, it is still a high pressure environment and if you are not super enthusiastic about your subject, then it will be tough. 

I know it's hard to get in (and you do need good grades), but I loved the environment there and I would encourage anyone who feels like they would enjoy that environment to apply. You never know, I never dreamed I would be offered to study there but it is the best thing that happened to me and I found people I could connect to there and a sense of belonging. 

I'm sorry for this very one-sided reply- unfortunately I do not know what it is like at other universities. I am sure there are lots of other good options- as you can tell I am slightly biased and simply love Cambridge.