Newly diagnosed, and feeling a bit lost

Hello community,

It's nice to meet you.

I received a diagnosis of autism yesterday. I'm 50, I'm in shock, and I also feel a bit like I'm falling into a deep hole of confusion. While I'm now glad to have a treatment framework to work within, I'm also feeling very sad that I didn't know about this until now, the latter of which seems to be a common theme I've read here.

Should I tell my extended family? Should I tell my workplace? Should I be open about it, or keep hiding my true self? I'm not sure what to do. I've been ashamed of being different my whole life, so it seems counter-intuitive for me to share this neuro-divergent diagnosis with neurotypical people. 

Thanks for reading 

Parents
  • Hello there.

I’m close to a year after my diagnosis, which I still consider very recent, but I am newish to this community. This is a great place to express thoughts/ feelings and ask questions.

I can entirely relate to your feelings around the diagnosis and I will admit that it has been a bit of a journey for me. It took a while for me to start telling people, and whilst reactions have been varied, no one has seemed shocked (or maybe I missed it if they were). I have found that by telling people, although I’ve not quite got the hang of how yet, I feel more able to be myself and I don’t worry as much if my mask slips so to speak. All in all it has been quite liberating. I am quite selective on who I tell at the moment though.

• Hello there.

I’m close to a year after my diagnosis, which I still consider very recent, but I am newish to this community. This is a great place to express thoughts/ feelings and ask questions.

I can entirely relate to your feelings around the diagnosis and I will admit that it has been a bit of a journey for me. It took a while for me to start telling people, and whilst reactions have been varied, no one has seemed shocked (or maybe I missed it if they were). I have found that by telling people, although I’ve not quite got the hang of how yet, I feel more able to be myself and I don’t worry as much if my mask slips so to speak. All in all it has been quite liberating. I am quite selective on who I tell at the moment though.

Children
  • I'm so glad that it's been liberating for you. I actually told an allergy doctor during an appointment this morning about my diagnosis because I felt it might be relevant in relation to my food intolerances, and he actually responded very well, and even closed the blinds so it wasn't so bright for me. It felt great! 

I feel more able to be myself and I don’t worry as much if my mask slips so to speak.

This is brilliant - what a wonderful thing to happen to you! 

I am quite selective on who I tell at the moment though.

Do you mean you only tell people where you feel it's relevant? (i.e., you wouldn't do, say, a Ted Talk on the topic of autism at the moment?)

Thanks for your reply Slight smile