Newly diagnosed, and feeling a bit lost

Hello community,

It's nice to meet you.

I received a diagnosis of autism yesterday. I'm 50, I'm in shock, and I also feel a bit like I'm falling into a deep hole of confusion. While I'm now glad to have a treatment framework to work within, I'm also feeling very sad that I didn't know about this until now, the latter of which seems to be a common theme I've read here.

Should I tell my extended family? Should I tell my workplace? Should I be open about it, or keep hiding my true self? I'm not sure what to do. I've been ashamed of being different my whole life, so it seems counter-intuitive for me to share this neuro-divergent diagnosis with neurotypical people. 

Thanks for reading 

Parents
  • As somebody of a similar age who has been waiting 2 years for an assessment I know how you feel. I have already factored in that I am autistic. I have told my closest friends and family but not the world in general. I think things have massively changed since we were young. Two of my neighbours sons have ASD, one severely so, it is part of normal life. To be honest people like us should be commended with getting this far in life without help. Some NT people think that ASD is only something that happened in the last 20 years, its been there forever. Tell people when you feel its right, it is totally up to you.

Rob

• As somebody of a similar age who has been waiting 2 years for an assessment I know how you feel. I have already factored in that I am autistic. I have told my closest friends and family but not the world in general. I think things have massively changed since we were young. Two of my neighbours sons have ASD, one severely so, it is part of normal life. To be honest people like us should be commended with getting this far in life without help. Some NT people think that ASD is only something that happened in the last 20 years, its been there forever. Tell people when you feel its right, it is totally up to you.

Rob

Children
  • Wow 2 years is a long time, sorry it's taking so long. Good point about things having changed massively since we were young, and I wholeheartedly agree that we should be commended. It's been so, so hard to live like this, not knowing why you react the way you do. Best wishes to you