Autism Burnout

A video on Autism Burnout (fatigue) from the Pete Wharmby, a great autistic speaker and writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDQ2glqHj8

All the internal and external factors autistic people face can take its toll over time - mentally worn down from masking, enduring difficult situations, anxiety about the present/future, trauma from the past, and then non-autism things that life throws at you.  It is good to be aware of it, even if its not happen to you know it might in the future.

It is not well researched or understood, so getting help for it is difficult, but like any fatigue its a good idea to be kind to yourself, mentally and physically.

If you aren't familiar with Pete then watch his other videos if you can.

Parents
  • Im watching this now. I have been going through burnout for the last few months and Im finding this video very helpful. Thank you

• I found it helpful too. I’m sorry you’re experiencing this too. We’re both exhausted by everything here - it feels like we’re clinging on to a raft in the middle of a very stormy sea most of the time. I am so needing rest and peace but I’ve so many stressful things going on in my life at the moment. We are just hoping that things get easier soon. 

• I found it helpful too. I’m sorry you’re experiencing this too. We’re both exhausted by everything here - it feels like we’re clinging on to a raft in the middle of a very stormy sea most of the time. I am so needing rest and peace but I’ve so many stressful things going on in my life at the moment. We are just hoping that things get easier soon. 

Children
  • I can very much relate to this. 

I have been feeling confused and frustrated as to why I cant seem to be able to do so many things I used to be able to do. I couldnt understand why, I was like well if this is because of my autism then how come I could do it in the past?

Learning about burnout makes it all make sense