Cinema experiences for autistic adults

Hi, I’m just wondering what/if others have had experiences going to the cinema to watch movies as an autistic adult? What sensory stuff do you put in place to be able to handle it? I’m desperate to go and see the new spider man movie, however I haven’t been to a cinema since I was a toddler (plus I have agoraphobia) and they don’t seem to be doing autism friendly screenings for this. So I was just curious if it was do able and if so what I should try and do. Thanks  Blush

• That’s what I do, but I just feel as though I may be missing out on something by not seeing things when they come out. 

• I don't go to cinema anymore too loud and crowded for me. Instant recipe for anxiety attack so I just wait for stuff to come out on dvd so I can watch it at home.

• You don’t have to book in advance but it’s possible now. Snacks will depend on the cinema, they will mostly say you have to buy theirs if you asked them but I’ve never been searched to see if I’m taking food in. I usually have a water bottle attached to my bag they’d have to fight me for it! Weekdays are usually quieter, I’ve found Sunday mornings quite quiet as well but sometimes that means you’ll be in a tiny screen, although probably not for something as popular as Spiderman. You’ll be best double checking the website of where you want to go as there will probably  still be Covid restrictions 

• I had no idea you had to book seats, is it best to go on a week day as it’ll be quieter surely? Can you take your own snacks with you? Or do you have to buy what’s there? 

• It depends on exactly what your issues are but ear plugs are definitely a good idea, any fight scenes are usually very loud. These days you can click the booking link and see the size of the screen and how many seats have been pre booked. If it’s not a busy time when you buy your tickets and snacks you could try asking if they can sit you somewhere away from others, sometimes there are small blocks above the entrance doors. My local independent cinema do screenings where adults can take babies with them to watch adult films (obviously nothing super scary though!) where the sensory conditions are similar to autism friendly screenings. I used to go with my daughter when she was a baby there would also be childless adults and disabled adults with carers there as well. I used to feed my daughter as the film started and she’d sleep through the rest

• I haven't been to the cinema in ages but when I did used to go I always wore earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. I'm sensitive to loud noise. I used to take my comfort bracelet as well that made me feel more relaxed and calm.

• I was thinking that or maybe earplugs? I have those loop earplugs which dull things down yet you can still hear. Is it overwhelming with how big the screen is? 

• I use earplugs to the same effect. Why do cinemas have to be so very loud? 

• When I go to cinemas, I usually wear noise cancelling earphones. Because the cinema is so loud, I can still hear the movie, but it’s more bearable.