Newly diagnosed

I applied for an autism assessment in 2018, had a screening apt locally in 2019 and was told I was anxious. They said I didn't fit the criteria for an autism assessment. I applied for a second opinion assessment at the Lorna Wing Centre and my supportive GP applied for out of county funding in 2019, which was agreed. The pandemic meant that the waiting time was much longer than it usually is. Yesterday I had my assessment at the centre in Essex, and got my diagnosis, aged 57. I already volunteer at an adult autism support group, where I can support others and also get support for myself. As the lovely lady at the Lorna Wing Centre told me at the end of my assessment "You've already found your tribe". That saying will stay with me for a long time. I can't thank them enough for supporting me on the day, making sure I was comfortable throughout my assessment, and of course giving me the diagnosis which I needed. Telling people that I am autistic, rather than I think I'm autistic is important to me, I needed to have it confirmed. Don't give up asking for an assessment, and learning from the results, whether you have your diagnosis or not, it's worth the wait, it certainly has been for me.

Parents
  • Yes, being diagnosed was a huge relief to me. It was when I was researching autism before my full realisation that  was autistic that I realised that I had found my people. Having spent my whole life cutting labels out of clothing and, because manufacturers still stuck the damned things in clothes, thinking that I was the only person in the world doing this, finding that many autistic people do the same was such a wonderful epiphany for me.

• Thank you for your comment Martin. Feels good to post on here, and lovely when people reply, I've found my tribe online too!

Reply Children
No Data