Received diagnosis last night - what now?

Hi all,

I received my diagnosis of high functioning ASD last night and I’m guessing I’m not alone in wondering what’s  next, what do I do with it etc etc. 

So now I know I’m different and that non Autistic people have bullied me relentlessly through your my life and I’m in my 50’s - because I’ve a disability - great, thanks for telling me. 

What I wasn’t expecting was to be just left to it with vague ‘get some CAT therapy’ advice. 

Any advice, pointers appreciated. I know I’m different and yes the diagnosis helps but HOW am I different? Why do people think it’s ok to be mean and unpleasant to me, what do these bullies see when they interact with me?

I feel I can’t learn to be like them if I don’t know how I’m different to them. 

Dies that all make sense. 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • I have been reading a book called Understanding Humans by Camilla Pang. It’s really fascinating and helping me get an insider viewpoint on my son’s world. But as for the actual real world help, I don’t honestly know what there is? I’m finding as a mum that I have to continue finding the help and telling people what my son needs, only now it’s easier as we have “proof” that he struggles.

Are there specific things you feel you need help with?

• I have been reading a book called Understanding Humans by Camilla Pang. It’s really fascinating and helping me get an insider viewpoint on my son’s world. But as for the actual real world help, I don’t honestly know what there is? I’m finding as a mum that I have to continue finding the help and telling people what my son needs, only now it’s easier as we have “proof” that he struggles.

Are there specific things you feel you need help with?

Children
No Data