Received diagnosis last night - what now?

Hi all,

I received my diagnosis of high functioning ASD last night and I’m guessing I’m not alone in wondering what’s  next, what do I do with it etc etc. 

So now I know I’m different and that non Autistic people have bullied me relentlessly through your my life and I’m in my 50’s - because I’ve a disability - great, thanks for telling me. 

What I wasn’t expecting was to be just left to it with vague ‘get some CAT therapy’ advice. 

Any advice, pointers appreciated. I know I’m different and yes the diagnosis helps but HOW am I different? Why do people think it’s ok to be mean and unpleasant to me, what do these bullies see when they interact with me?

I feel I can’t learn to be like them if I don’t know how I’m different to them. 

Dies that all make sense. 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • Just a small thing - but I would contend that your are NOT disabled, just different.  As has been said many times on here, lots of the worlds greatest thinkers and scientists have had ASD.  Once you can learn to deal with the negatives you can concentrate on accentuating the positives.

• Just a small thing - but I would contend that your are NOT disabled, just different.  As has been said many times on here, lots of the worlds greatest thinkers and scientists have had ASD.  Once you can learn to deal with the negatives you can concentrate on accentuating the positives.

Children
No Data