I think my 34 Yr old son is autistic

• I have a 34 Yr old son who still lives at home with us. Up until now ive just put the way he is down to.. The way he is!! But he has a little boy who's 6 now and he has been diagnosed with autism. I started to wonder were my sons behaviour /lifestyle down to autism?? I just don't know. The more I think about it the more I think it might explain an awful lot?
  • I just wish I could tell someone else to see if maybe I'm rite in my thoughts. If it were the case then things could be handled differently. I know people must think "he's 34 and she's only just thought about this?" but I spoke to my mum the other day and she seems to think the same as me and has for a long time. I feel like a bad mum now
  • Its hard because of how he is! He flies off the handle if you tell him what to do or whatsvon youre mind.the trouble is he goes to pub a lot but when he drinks hesvpleasant sociable thoughtful its so difficult.it sounds awful but he becomes normal when he drinks 

• Bless you.  I'm 56 and my mum is 81 and frail.  She's busy beating herself up that she didn't get me the right help as a kid, and I'm busy trying to get her to understand that there was no way she could possibly have known.  All the professionals around me missed it, why would she be able to identify it?

Actually, you sound like a lovely accepting mum.  I guess question is: does your son feel like there are any detriments to his life that would make it worth mentioning him to as a possible cause?  If he's happy in himself, autism may well be there but he's coping and happy coping.  If so, it could be he's coping precisely because he has an understanding mum who gets him as he is.  On the other hand, if there are things in life proving hard for him, hmmm you could consider mentioning it. 

For some people the diagnosis is the best thing that ever happened to them, others would really rather not go there.  It's a hard one with no easy answer.

Meanwhile, none of us can diagnose, but you could try bouncing some of his behaviours off us.  You'll soon see whether any of us are recognising them as something due to our traits.