Advice with diagnosis

Hello,

I am planning on speaking to the doctors this week about starting my diagnosis journey and I would really appreciate any advice. I recently started a PGCE teaching course (about 12 weeks ago) and initially it was going OK but then as the work load increased and the University started to mix up the groups I was working with, placing me with new people who I had never met to complete projects with, it was just too much. I came home that evening and felt absolutely burnt out and since then I have had to take time away from the course. This is what has led me to finally wanting to get my diagnosis and if anyone that has been through their diagnosis could offer any advice on what to expect then I would really appreciate that.

Thank you,

Adam

Parents
  • Bebe's words are wise, but on the essay stuff depends who you go with. We're autistic, we DO detail and how. I went with NAS Lorna Wing Centre who appreciated that level of detail. NHS might be different.

If you are at University, you might have another option worth checking out. I have a friend diagnosed at university by their resident team of clinical psychologists there to support with all sorts of stuff including autism. Worth talking to student support about.

Burn out is hard, bless you. Hit that a few times.

All the best

• wow that's great actually and it makes perfect sense. the more information the better and a lot of autistic people can write essays and as you mentioned we do love detail. it was kind of strange and shocking that my GP reacted that way but as you mentioned NHS GPs can be hit or miss sometimes 

• Most GPs, unless they are autistic or have relatives who are, know nothing. They just hand out the AQ10 and act as gate keeper to services. 

Reply Children