imagination

Do we really lack imagination?

I see this so often in the literature

Looking at the web pages on "understanding behaviour" - "Anxiety in adults....." it says "To understand emotion you need imagination. One of the areas of difficulty for people with autism is not being able to imagine things"

But further on, under psychological signs, it has "thinking constantly about the worst outcome". How do we do this without an imagination?

It it more about type of imagination? Or too much imagination making subtle imagination harder?

Parents
  • I'm 55 and I was diagnosed with Asperger's three weeks ago. To be more specific, the doctors say it is "Asperger's with Savant Skills" (not to be confused with Savant Syndrome). India still uses this nomenclature, and I realise in western countries my diagnosis would likely be ASD Level 1, but I'm not certain. 

I'm struggling to understand my diagnoses, and my three doctors have helped me a great deal. I am cautious about the online sources that I find, and I do my best to study only those that I feel are reliable and avoid stereotyping. 

One of my greatest points of confusion is that I frequently encounter these notions that Asperger's traits include difficulties with imaginative skills, abstract thinking, lateral thinking, and so forth. I'm the opposite. I live in an inner world of philosophy and imaginative thinking. My degrees include Studio Art and Philosophy. 

Although I share many of the Asperger's traits I encounter in the DSM and other seemingly-reputable sources, I'm confused by particular discrepancy. I know each person with ASD is unique, and I accept this as a partial explanation. I'm confused and still learning, and I hope I haven't said anything that might offend any of you. I'm new here, and I am still building foundational knowledge and am far from a nuanced understanding of Asperger's, my diagnoses, and even my inner self.

But I will say that this diagnoses is making my life--past and present--make sense, and I have a great sense of relief. I won't get into details here about what my five decades of living has been like; for now, these notions about constrained imagination and problems with abstract thinking are matters I feel I need to reconcile before I can continue to develop my understanding of my inner self, my diagnoses, and Asperger's in its more general sense. 

I will be grateful to anyone who can help provide clarity about this. 

• I'm 55 and I was diagnosed with Asperger's three weeks ago. To be more specific, the doctors say it is "Asperger's with Savant Skills" (not to be confused with Savant Syndrome). India still uses this nomenclature, and I realise in western countries my diagnosis would likely be ASD Level 1, but I'm not certain. 

I'm struggling to understand my diagnoses, and my three doctors have helped me a great deal. I am cautious about the online sources that I find, and I do my best to study only those that I feel are reliable and avoid stereotyping. 

One of my greatest points of confusion is that I frequently encounter these notions that Asperger's traits include difficulties with imaginative skills, abstract thinking, lateral thinking, and so forth. I'm the opposite. I live in an inner world of philosophy and imaginative thinking. My degrees include Studio Art and Philosophy. 

Although I share many of the Asperger's traits I encounter in the DSM and other seemingly-reputable sources, I'm confused by particular discrepancy. I know each person with ASD is unique, and I accept this as a partial explanation. I'm confused and still learning, and I hope I haven't said anything that might offend any of you. I'm new here, and I am still building foundational knowledge and am far from a nuanced understanding of Asperger's, my diagnoses, and even my inner self.

But I will say that this diagnoses is making my life--past and present--make sense, and I have a great sense of relief. I won't get into details here about what my five decades of living has been like; for now, these notions about constrained imagination and problems with abstract thinking are matters I feel I need to reconcile before I can continue to develop my understanding of my inner self, my diagnoses, and Asperger's in its more general sense. 

I will be grateful to anyone who can help provide clarity about this. 

Children
No Data