Self identified at 56 years old

Hi everyone! This is all new to me! I have recently self identified as autistic at 56. I have been referred to and accepted by the autism assessment team but there is a 3 1/2 year waiting list. Since the penny dropped, I have become increasingly scared, bewildered, angry, depressed, feeling defective, and that my entire life has been a lie. I am I assume, high functioning, I have a masters degree, I have had good jobs, I have brought up a child alone whilst doing all of the above. At the moment I feel like I have opened pandoras box and really want to put the lid back on as I really don't like what's in it! I also feel like a bit of a fake in that I've got this far without any problems but realising that actually, I've always had problems. I guess I just want someone to say this is all normal? Thank you for reading!

Parents
  • we are similar in that we both got to Masters level and found out after raising kids  that i was autistic.

your early life isnt a lie. I think my mums plan to just ignore the doctors and raise me as a 'Normal' kid meant i never felt different and so attempted everything. 

your reaction is indeed normal ----- my mind folded in on itself when i was diagnosed ( by accident )  ---- i was unstable for 6 -9 months. I defo felt a fraud.  

But only last month a nurse ( a ward sister! ) said " yea i knew u where autistic ".  She was autistic as well !  we had such a long talk about our stories, our matching fingernail colours,  and had a good laugh. I also got my own private room !

i stopped drinking and started meditation/mindfulness/The Tao/Zen etc and this basically calmed me down, reduced anxiety/depression and allowed me to control more of what was going on in my head.

• we are similar in that we both got to Masters level and found out after raising kids  that i was autistic.

your early life isnt a lie. I think my mums plan to just ignore the doctors and raise me as a 'Normal' kid meant i never felt different and so attempted everything. 

your reaction is indeed normal ----- my mind folded in on itself when i was diagnosed ( by accident )  ---- i was unstable for 6 -9 months. I defo felt a fraud.  

But only last month a nurse ( a ward sister! ) said " yea i knew u where autistic ".  She was autistic as well !  we had such a long talk about our stories, our matching fingernail colours,  and had a good laugh. I also got my own private room !

i stopped drinking and started meditation/mindfulness/The Tao/Zen etc and this basically calmed me down, reduced anxiety/depression and allowed me to control more of what was going on in my head.

Children
No Data