Agrophobia and hyper vigilance

Hiya folks I haven't been on here for a long time and it's real nice to be back browsing this forum, makes ya feel a little better reading similar issues, I hope that doesn't come across bad?

I really have been struggling going out for a long duration and feel real uneasiness when I'm out, constantly looking behind me, to the side imagining things are there that are not. So it exhausts me so much I refrain going out the majority of the time.

Also hate getting in cars as a passenger feel like the car I'm travelling in is going to crash so I'm always on hyper alert when I'm travelling in a car(even my wife's car) I don't and have never driven. This totally impacts on my whole life as I can't take my young kids out feeling it is to much of a struggle. My kids are 8 and 3 which is another difficulty with my sensory issues.ive only been diagnosed at 50 I'm now 51.

The hypervigilance has gradually got worst over the last 5ish years or so. I feel as though everything is hard work at the moment, one good thing I've got a occupational therapist  appt in a local Costa first thing in the morning this week when it's quiet.

When I'm at home I feel so much more relaxed and always feel so relieved to be home. I don't work atm and couldn't imagine working with all these struggles going on.

Kind regards garethx p.s any views would be most appreciated 

• No worries. Thank you but everyone has their battles. Hope you find the help and answers you need.

• No, I am my areas Autism Champion/Autism advocate. I have been doing training since June to make me capable to assist autistic adults in my local area. I have been volunteering with my area autism partnership to make the world more accessible for autistic individuals as well as educating neurotypicals on autism in the workplace & Autism in Health and social care.    

• I am not a doctor, but mental health first aider here

are u a volunteer / paid worker of NAS ?

• Thanks so much for your message. My heart goes out to you having to go thru that with your job.

• Hey, 

Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. I'm a third year student paramedic and have been working in healthcare for a few years. My boyfriend is on the spectrum but it is something I don't have an in depth knowledge of.

I would suggest talking to your GP about a mental health referral, in some areas you can self refer without even talking to a GP. The reason I say this is because I have anxiety and OCD (in addition to a couple of other MH disorders). I always look over my shoulder and have a heightened sense of anxiety in environments which aren't my "safe zones", which can be exhausting. I have been in two car accidents this year (one last week whilst traveling on blue lights in an ambulance), and it has massively shaken my confidence and I would be more than happy to give driving up. Part of my OCD (which can display in thousands of ways) is obsessing over how the car journey may go wrong, so I'm very rarely at ease in a car. However, as a student para, half of my job is driving. I am due to take my C1 practical driving test in December and am trying my best to not let it limit me, but can understand this is a challenge in itself. There is lots of research available to suggest CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) can help with these challenges and finding ways to cope. CBT can be accessed via a MH referral. There are also numerous helplines available to offer more support and guidance, for example the Samaritans. 

I am not an expert and only wish to offer guidance based on my own knowledge and experience. No offence is intended.

• Hi NAS73543, Just thought it might be useful to post the community rules to you here so that you know what is and is not allowed on the online community: https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules

Please make sure you read and keep to them when interacting with others on this community.

All the best,

SarahMod

• Yes, within a certain context. 

1. This is a forum to help / assist others and as such, there are some nice ground rules to this site. So, if you'd like some friendly banter, feel free to create a post for that kind of engagement or just head over to Facebook :) But there are many individuals who are genuinely looking for assurance or help understanding very traumatic or difficult situations on this site. I prefer the contract of "Do no harm".

2. I am very much open to reasoning through and with, on the basis of this: “For an autistic, little is more unbearable than unsolved mysteries and unanswered questions.” 

https://neuroclastic.com/why-adult-aspies-arent-being-diagnosed-a-human-rights-crisis/ 

• u said it was ok  to make such comments  above 

• are you making a joke? 

They have just explained what sensory integration issues and there experience .

be careful some people on here are really venerable ! 

If your going to troll anyone on here i suggest the mothers who constantly complain about their autistic child is ruin their life.

• I am not a doctor, but mental health first aider here. Yes the symptoms are similar to post traumatic stress disorder however they may also be experiencing issues with sensory integration. Sometimes your resistant level to sensory input depletes if you have been isolated for a while and it make you really tired, anxious and stressed. If it is sensory integration problems then going out into situation for small periods may help them build it resistance and stamina however they can not be forced and have to do it at their pace and be aware not to keep pushing themselves because it will send you several steps back in their progress.  

• OK. On what grounds would you base this?

• your response sounds Bipolar Disorder in nature

• Facilitating awareness is the first step toward education. We are not mathematicians at age 5, but love to talk about what we've learned in class.  

I am not a philosopher but I own shelves of books on philosophy and psychoanalysis. I consider these Field Guides. How to navigate society fluidly. I can share information in them if you're confused about a thing. It may or may not help. 

There is also an element to being older, having gone through a period of time and emerging from it, like learning to drive. Learning to deal with an office space. Learning to snowboard. I'm not an instructor or a building site manager, but experience counts for a thing. 

There is a great matter of difference between discussing possibilities to facilitate awareness and creating a diagnostic. A forum and a community is best suited for the one. 

• I dont think he was. Just trying to be helpful. Thankyou for both replies as you were both caring in a way. X

• are you a Doctor ? how can you so casually diagnose PTSD ?

• Sounds PTSD-related.

Identify what triggers you the most.