Misophonia & Noise canceling headphones

Hi, I suffer from misophonia and currently wear on ear wireless headphones with white noise to block out sounds. I have 3 pairs which have at least 12h battery life to ensure that I have one available at all times + a spare

I recently got told that I should watch the show A-Typical. I'm not sure why. So far I've found the TV show distressing. But anyway; I noticed that the main character with autism has noise canceling headphone and wondered if anyone has any experience with some that they could recommend.

Reading about noise canceling, In my mind I'm imagine something that negates all sounds and give you total silence. As I sometimes require to listen to sounds very loud to block out some noise. This would be far safer for me as I already have tinnitus.

This this is true on how they actually work. Can someone recommend some headphones which do this? I like my current ones because I can sleep with them on

Parents
  • Hi Ghost, 

Thanks for starting this thread.  I too would like to learn more about noise-cancelling headphones.  I've done a bit of research on the internet, and am undecided between getting noise-cancelling headphones (which produce sounds that cancel out the ones around you) and noise-isolating headphones (which don't produce any sound themselves, but they are made of materials that insulate the ears against sound really well).

I've read that noise-cancelling headphones can sometimes create a feeling of pressure on the ear (like when you're in a plane taking off) and I'm a bit worried about that, although I've heard that it's rare.  At the moment I'm thinking I might go for noise-isolating instead, but I want to find out more about both kinds.

• Hi Ghost, 

Thanks for starting this thread.  I too would like to learn more about noise-cancelling headphones.  I've done a bit of research on the internet, and am undecided between getting noise-cancelling headphones (which produce sounds that cancel out the ones around you) and noise-isolating headphones (which don't produce any sound themselves, but they are made of materials that insulate the ears against sound really well).

I've read that noise-cancelling headphones can sometimes create a feeling of pressure on the ear (like when you're in a plane taking off) and I'm a bit worried about that, although I've heard that it's rare.  At the moment I'm thinking I might go for noise-isolating instead, but I want to find out more about both kinds.

Children
  • i have ear defenders with a built radio.  they are designed for chainsaw users.  they take getting used to in that they push on your ears and head with some pressure in order to keep the seal to your head intact.

i have had they 5 years now  -----   i am used to using them for periods of 4-5 hours.  

to really isolate myself i use silicone ear plugs plus these headphones playing whitenoise and u r pretty much isolated. This is good when u want to be cut off for periods or time.

i have no experience of noise cancelling headphones but i am looking at the cheaper end of the market as i am dealing better now with distractions.

oh BTW my ear defenders are very big but i dont care. You might.

heres the ones i have ---- the AM radio is rubbish FM radio is normal performance.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_20