I Insensitive to My Demanded Rude Roommate Friend?

My friend and I are roommates. My friend has 16 brothers and sisters, a mom and dad. She tells me she’s close with them.

Here’s my question; my friend just had a surgical procedure. She couldn’t move around, so she went to stay at her parent’s house for three days. I would visit her and bring her what she needed, but like “Please buy this for me or get me this.”

The parents promised her they’d take time off to help her around, but they didn’t, so she ended up asking me to help her around. The number of times I visited, she was in abnormal conditions. Her room was never cleaned. A dirty bathroom, filthy carpet, leftover food was everywhere. She had no one at that time to attend to her.

On the last day, I had meetings that ended late, and she called and told me she was coming back to the apartment. Only two siblings came to see her, not help. So I started thinking maybe they don’t need to do anything because I am there.

So I was like, what happened? She said no one was giving her any assistance or attention at the parent’s house. Her sister then dumped her at the apartment and left. I come back. She asks me to help her around, so I am like, that’s fine.

It’s been three days since she’s been back, and I don’t understand what she wants. She is rude. She has an attitude about me watching tv, talking on the phone. She’ll be like. It’s too loud. I am trying to sleep. She would say things like, “If I ask my family to take care of me, they would, you don’t need to,” I feel this is such an ungrateful statement.

When I tell her not to say such statements to me, she’ll be like; you are inconsiderate, you are attacking my lowest point, you want to argue with me when I am recovering. I don’t know what to tell her. She keeps saying I’ll call my sisters to help me, I don’t need you. So I got mad, and I asked her where they were?

• It's very odd that your friend is treating you this way. It's possible that she is feeling a bit trapped and reliant as a result of her surgery. It can put you at a disadvantage. Given that she has sisters who could help her, perhaps she should encourage them to come and assist so the pressure isn't entirely on your shoulders. It might also be worth seeing if you can get her out of the house for a trip to the park, or out to lunch so she feels a bit more relaxed. (Of course only if her surgery has healed well enough to allow the adventure).