GP Phone Appointments

Can anyone else really not cope with having to have phone appointments with the GP?

For obvious reasons, phone appointments are all my GP surgery has been offering since the pandemic started. But I absolutely hate them. I hate the uncertainty of the time they're going to call - with my surgery that's somewhere within a 2 hour window. I hate wondering whether my phone will have signal. I hate trying to explain things, especially the location of pain, over the phone. And I really hate trying to understand what is being said or asked of me. The line is always crackly and there is obviously background noise at both ends of the call, making it really hard to understand what they're saying.

Honestly phone conversations are difficult for me at the best of times, add into that feeling ill and being overly anxious by the time I actually take the call (thanks to all the waiting and signal worries) and I find it hard to speak clearly or take anything in. Which, of course, means I come away feeling like they didn't understand what I was saying and being unsure what their advice was.

And there's no way round it. I've tried explaining how I feel, both over the phone and by email, but they're militant about keeping ALL appointments with doctors over the phone.

I actually don't know what to do about it. I do need to speak to a doctor, which is hard enough to get an appointment for anyway, but the thought of having to do so over the phone makes me feel utterly defeated. I'm really struggling with this and its not helping my mental health at all.

Parents
  • Hi Mimi, your GP will be doing many consultations by phone but also seeing people when needed - I would ask again to be seen and explain that you find it difficult to talk over the phone; I'm sure they will understand. If they don't then change GP. (Speaking as a GP) Good luck

• Hi Mimi, your GP will be doing many consultations by phone but also seeing people when needed - I would ask again to be seen and explain that you find it difficult to talk over the phone; I'm sure they will understand. If they don't then change GP. (Speaking as a GP) Good luck

Children
No Data