Adult ASD assessment and parental input

Hi everyone

Just after some advice really from those who have been through the ASD assessment as an adult, I'm 37.

I've been put on the waiting list and been sent some questionnaires to complete. The ones about childhood I have given to my mum to complete but from discussing autism with her so far she seems to have a flippant or stereotypical view and is of the opinion that there was nothing neurodiverse when I was a child other than I was shy.

I have to complete a similar questionnaire and I'm concerned that my scoring will be a lot different, so to what extent is the input from parents/relatives taken into account for the assessment and diagnosis?

Parents
  • I didn't have any family members to do the childhood assessment part, as they are all dead, but was told then I had to do it myself as it was a fundamental part of the process. Hopefully they will also take into account your own responses about your childhood. I think this is a real problem with using the same process for people over 25 as they do for small children. I hope your process goes well and you get the response and help that you need.

• I didn't have any family members to do the childhood assessment part, as they are all dead, but was told then I had to do it myself as it was a fundamental part of the process. Hopefully they will also take into account your own responses about your childhood. I think this is a real problem with using the same process for people over 25 as they do for small children. I hope your process goes well and you get the response and help that you need.

Children
No Data