Help in the workplace - Bar work

Hello,

I am looking for advice on what help there is for autistic people working in a bar or similar loud environment.

I have been out of work for some time but recently took up a job in a bar.

I was enjoying it at first but the proximity of the other bar staff to each other when it was busy, combined with the loud music, lots of people and fast pace etc was too over stimulating and though I took several 'toilet' breaks to try to calm myself and remain reasonable I had a bit of a meltdown and said to the manager it wasnt for me.

I realise in hindsight I could have asked for help such as to wear headphones or be given certain tasks to do so I don't feel overwhelmed. I am still in the middle of being formally diagnosed and i find it really hard to explain why i dont feel ok about things sometimes and I come across as seeming too unfriendly or rude and I feel embarrassed about that too as I have often been bullied in the workplace before because of this.

The people ar this bar were for the most part very understanding and I think if I was able to ask for help they would listen but I don't know exactly what I can ask for.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be available?

All i can think to start is wear headphones, be given clearer instructions about what to do and ask that my timetable is mostly consistent so I am not working too many irregular hours for a sleeping pattern.

Also for anyone in customer service generally I was struggling to smile or seem happy as I got locked into not feeling ok.

Please let me me know any advice.

Cheers.

Parents
  • I use to work in a very loud, fast paced factory. Hated it. But when it was getting too much I would try and distract myself while keeping up with the work.

something silly, like I would count how much rubbish there was on the floor. Or count how many buttons I could see on everyone. 

But do talk to a manager, they probably can help you or offer you different hours during the day when it’s less busy. 
    most people are understanding. 

• Hi guys thanks for your replies, have you any advice on dealing with the constant micro interactions of the workplace... in this bar there are 8 to 10 people on shift at one time and the bar is not very wide or long so everyone's constantly on top of each other reaching for drinks, using the tills, getting more stock etc... I got really in my head about it yesterday feeling uncomfortable and awkward every single time this happened... it was exhausting... combined with the loud music and so many customers i got to the point of a meltdown I physically couldn't go back to the bar and told my manager I was going to leave... I feel embarrassed because it's so hard to explain why you feel bad about things most people don't seem to notice... these people are understanding and kind for the most part but i am questioning whether I should just let this one go and accept it's too much for me. I have worked in bars before and dont mind the busy-ness it's the moments inbetween when theres not much to do and theres the pressure of conversation or to be seen as fun by dancing along to the music etc and keeping up with the energy of the place and not standing looking awkward... as I said theres so many staff the constant interactions and trying to work out what people are thinking etc was so stressful in that environment... I got lost in so many negative thoughts of how they must think I'm so miserable and boring etc...usually I am not that negative anymore so maybe it is too triggering an environment

• Would you not prefer a different job? Apparently Britain still need fruit pickers! 

Bars in particular seem rather difficult just due to the nature of them. This company has standard and large sized earplugs https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Etymotic+Research&ref=bl_dp_s_web_1720934031 I think standard fits most. They're quite comfortable and you can still have a conversation with them in. I use them on trains, in bars, at the cinema, etc. 

Reply Children
No Data