safe clothing and sensory issues

Hiya everyone!

For everyone who has safe clothing and fabrics or sensory issues, what are your go-to outfits?

And what is your least favourite type of fabric/outfit?

Mine is always a shift dress (so I don't have to hold my stomach in all day) made of jersey fabric (my favourite!), with ribbed jersey cycling shorts, my favourite comfy socks with converse. And my hair has to be tied back or in a clip to keep it off my face!

This outfit is the easiest way to stop myself from getting sensory overload.

I think my least favourite is work trousers, especially ones that create static when you walk. And tight dresses, jeans and crop tops!

Share yours!!

Parents
  • Really interesting subject. I have so many sensory problems with clothing. I'm only comfortable in loose-fitting garments (light cotton or silk) and avoid any kind of woolly fabric or rough/course fabric. It irritates my skin. I like to keep my neck bare and so avoid shirts with stiff collars (and ties), or turtle-neck pullovers . For my legs, I prefer tight-fitting jeans or trousers. Loose trousers or jeans can cause me to trip or stumble.   Full shoes (dress shoes) are problematic as I'm never comfortable wearing them and walk like a bird in them. Even trainers aren't normally comfortable, so I either wear sandals or pool shoes to keep as much of my feet exposed as possible. In winter, when I have to cover my feet,  I'll go for big heavy boots (because they keep my anchored). Socks are a nightmare. I've never found any that are comfortable so, whenever possible, I usually don't wear them. My underwear are always briefs and as skimpy as possible, I get a bad reaction even just thinking about wearing rough or stiff boxer shorts. Once i find something I feel comfortable wearing, I wear it all the time until it's threadbare. Or I'll buy the exact same garment (perhaps in a different colour). I don't usually like clothes with big words or logos on them, or anything too distracting.

• Really interesting subject. I have so many sensory problems with clothing. I'm only comfortable in loose-fitting garments (light cotton or silk) and avoid any kind of woolly fabric or rough/course fabric. It irritates my skin. I like to keep my neck bare and so avoid shirts with stiff collars (and ties), or turtle-neck pullovers . For my legs, I prefer tight-fitting jeans or trousers. Loose trousers or jeans can cause me to trip or stumble.   Full shoes (dress shoes) are problematic as I'm never comfortable wearing them and walk like a bird in them. Even trainers aren't normally comfortable, so I either wear sandals or pool shoes to keep as much of my feet exposed as possible. In winter, when I have to cover my feet,  I'll go for big heavy boots (because they keep my anchored). Socks are a nightmare. I've never found any that are comfortable so, whenever possible, I usually don't wear them. My underwear are always briefs and as skimpy as possible, I get a bad reaction even just thinking about wearing rough or stiff boxer shorts. Once i find something I feel comfortable wearing, I wear it all the time until it's threadbare. Or I'll buy the exact same garment (perhaps in a different colour). I don't usually like clothes with big words or logos on them, or anything too distracting.

Children