How do I (adult female) ask my GP for assessment??

I’m really worried and am putting off approaching my GP for an assessment. 

Does anyone have any tips on how to have this conversation as an adult female? 

Parents
  • Hi, I’m new to this community but just wanted to share my experience on this. I too was really worried about approaching my gp about an assessment and put it off for many years. I eventually approached the subject when I was diagnosed with social anxiety and panic disorder. My gp was lovely and when going through all my concerns agreed that i should be referred. Due to the pandemic the waiting list was extended by 6 months, now 20months after my initial referral I have been assessed and was told on the day of the assessment that I am on the Autism  spectrum. 
    I know where I live you can also do self referrals so don’t actually have to go through your GP but not sure if it’s the same everywhere. 
    can I also just add that the assessment is very full on, lots of paperwork, questionnaires, questions about you as a baby, child etc( these were difficult for me to answer as my mum is sadly deceased and my dad not around) but I would just say if this is the same case for you then just answer them to the best of your ability. The actual assessment lasted 4 hours and was in 2 halves. 
    I hope this helps a little but as others have said, make a note of all your concerns and when making the go appointment make sure you are only discussing the referral so the focus can be on that. 

• Hi, I’m new to this community but just wanted to share my experience on this. I too was really worried about approaching my gp about an assessment and put it off for many years. I eventually approached the subject when I was diagnosed with social anxiety and panic disorder. My gp was lovely and when going through all my concerns agreed that i should be referred. Due to the pandemic the waiting list was extended by 6 months, now 20months after my initial referral I have been assessed and was told on the day of the assessment that I am on the Autism  spectrum. 
    I know where I live you can also do self referrals so don’t actually have to go through your GP but not sure if it’s the same everywhere. 
    can I also just add that the assessment is very full on, lots of paperwork, questionnaires, questions about you as a baby, child etc( these were difficult for me to answer as my mum is sadly deceased and my dad not around) but I would just say if this is the same case for you then just answer them to the best of your ability. The actual assessment lasted 4 hours and was in 2 halves. 
    I hope this helps a little but as others have said, make a note of all your concerns and when making the go appointment make sure you are only discussing the referral so the focus can be on that. 

Children
No Data